No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaki Storage Jars by Ole Palsby late 1980's  (Read 6074 times)

hilmarc

Riihimaki Storage Jars by Ole Palsby late 1980's
« on: April 22, 2004, 07:02:46 PM »
Hi,
Can anyone advise on Riihimaki utility ware? The storage jars, which have a wire handle which secures the lid, in 3 sizes, 0.5l, 1l and 1,5l are marked with the panther mark, as shown in Ivo's book, for the period 1930's - 1960's. The designer was Ole Palsby. Could anyone pin a date on start and finish of the production run, pattern name, and whether these were the only sizes produced?

thanks in advance for any assistance,

Marcus

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2004, 06:09:53 AM »
http://www.evadenmark.com/EvaDenmark/designere.html#Ole%20Palsby
Danish designer Ole Palsby started around 1977; I suspect the Riihimäki storage jars are from the late 80-ies or 90-ies, also because of the hi-tech material of the seals. And I would not be surprised if they're still in production.

Marcus

Riihimaki
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 11:44:30 AM »
Hi Ivo, Thanks for the reply.

Have looked at these again, and think they may be earlier than 1970's. How definitive are the Riihimaki marking dates from the A-Z? I've a what I think is a Nanny Still vase, (possibly Aladin) which has the pawprint adhesive sticker on, which I thought indicated a post-70's production date.

Did the polar-bear mark continue in use, after the introduction of the pawprint mark?

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 11:53:14 AM »
HI it's me incognito.
Palsby worked for Riihimäen Lasi in 1988 as recorded by Bill Geary in his book "Scandinavian Glass - Creative Energies"  so late eighties it is.
Ivo

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 07:46:56 PM »
Looks like Palsby also designed these for Rosendahl, Marcus
http://www.rosendahl.dk/main.php?qsContent=product_photoarchive&qsProductGroupID=1381

I can't find any images online for the Riihimaki ones.
Could you oblige ?
Pete

Sklounion

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 08:59:12 PM »
Rushed is ok but tiny is too small  :(
Larger image : http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10018/normal_Palsby2.JPG
Is that a glass semi circle on the top ?

Any comments on the Rosendahl ?
Pete

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 09:19:19 PM »
Nice, design heritage all too apparent but acknowledged, I'd happily find these shelf space too, they are just a tad out -side my budget at the mo, but ten years time, a charity/thrift/boot yard sale at 50 cents, pence, they'll feel so much nicer :lol:

Regards,

Marcus

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 09:03:57 AM »
I've had another look at these Rosendahl jars.

These are design collectibles of the future, and once out of production will spiral in price. Why? The design flaw. Yes, you have spotted it. Once the handle on the lid has been broken....... :roll:  :roll:

Regards,

Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand