No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this wedgwood ??  (Read 3472 times)

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
Is this wedgwood ??
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
I was wondering if this is a wedgewood weight as i have seen some in this design,it has no markings on the bottom though but has polished very worn base and nicly made ,,many thanks
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is this wedgewood ??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »
Hi

It is very hard to tell whether weights like this were made by Wedgwood, or one of several factories in China who produce similar pieces: the Chinese versions are very good copies! That said, attribution to Wedgwood won't change the value very much - I tend to think in pence rather than pounds when it comes to this design.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Is this wedgwood ??
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:42:36 AM »
Value depends where you live! I have a couple of topaz ones of these which were 21st birthday presents back in the late 60's. However I saw two recently in an "antique" shop here in Perth (Western Australia - not Scotland), and they were charging $105 for them. At current exchange rates that is about £60 !

JAK
West Oz
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
Hi JAK

You get strange pricing here too.  There is an antique shop in Moreton in Marsh that had a pair of Strathearn doorknobs for sale 5 years ago, described as 19th C French, and priced at £225.00.  Several people I know told them that they were modern Scottish items.  When I called in recently they still had the doorknobs, now labelled just as millefiori (except they spelled it incorrectly) - but the price has increased to £295.00!

I'd have thought they might have gleaned something about the price from the fact they have not sold in 5 years. I guess they hope to snag an unwary tourist.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
Hi ,luckily i only paid a pound for it and its got to be well worth that ,thanks for the info and yeah some of these antique shops seem to make their own prices up and unless i really like something i stick to my charity shops and bootsales ..    kerryn .
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:55:14 PM »
Compared to the one I have that looks wrong. Mine is boxed RSW11, labelled and etched so it might be right :-) . Have just been checking them out on line and all the marked ones were closer to mine than that one. Particularly shape of bubbles and the bubble between the coloured parts is unbroken. I could be wrong.

King's Lynn Glass ones were only labeled and labeled but unmarked Wedgwood are also recorded.

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 03:59:44 PM »
Could I just post a reminder that the head glassmaker at Wedgwood left and set up Avondale Glass near Tenby in Wales. He copied some of the weights he had made at Wedgwood so could this be Avondale ?
Dave

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 04:07:13 PM »
That could explain some of the larger variations I saw on-line today. Some just seemed to sloppily made to be right, or did quality vary too?

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 04:24:40 PM »
All of the Wedgwood Glass that I own is signed with an acid etch.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
Seconds are unsigned...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia