No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Czech? - ID = Skrdlovice pattern 5563  (Read 4197 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Is this Czech? - ID = Skrdlovice pattern 5563
« on: June 07, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »
Hi,
I bought this from a picture on the Net (not Fleabay, just a buy/sell thing).  I bought it for $5.  Bought sight unseen, and only by a picture.  It looked more blue in the picture when I bought it.  As you can see I just received today.  It is sort of more Mauve colored.  So I was thinking it was not Murano, but maybe Chalet........Then the more I looked at it, and turned it -- there was a Bluish/Mauve/Brownish color to it.

The bottom definitely has wear for age....and not sure if you would call this fluid glass, or kinda like pulled lobes on the side...the top lobes are a bit different height from the base.  One is like 4 inches tall from the base, and another one is like 4.25 inches tall from the base.  So the lobes are NOT even in length - but close.   It is about 6 inches wide.

So since I had that other bowl ( http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32442.0.html ) where it had kinda that 2 tone color to it -- I am now thinking (and guessing ) this (might) be Czech Glass.  The camera really picked up the colors good.

Anyone know age, maker, etc?  Is it a good buy at $5 --- cost me $11.80 to send here.....and most of all, DID I guess right at all....ONLY after I got it. :-\

Thanks in advance

Added:  Or maybe this is an Ashtray ??  Not sure - Bowl, or Ashtray  :huh:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Please CHECK? ( Is this Czech??? )
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:37:30 AM »
Goodness, that's a lovely lump of glass you have there!

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:47 AM »
It looks like Mstisov production (Teplicke sklo n.p -Czechoslovakia) from late 50ties.
Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
It looks like Mstisov production (Teplicke sklo n.p -Czechoslovakia) from late 50ties.
Jindrich

Thank you Jindrich very much... :kissy:

Is Mstisov the name of the person, or is Teplicke the name of the person?  Sorry, but when it comes to things like this (words in other languages) I am not sure which word is the *person* and which word is the *area*.  So which is which?  Not a silly question, I just do not know the people names, or the names of areas (regions, etc) over there.  I know you know what you mean, but for those of us in another country, sometimes the answer is confusing not knowing the regions that well.....or the glass maker name.

I better study some geography stuff.... LOL

At least for the price of $5 for something from the 1950's -- I am  :chky: 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »
Mstisov is the glassworks Rose,I'm not familiar with the name Teplicke, someone will know,I'm new when it comes to this type of glass myself and have lots to learn, ;D
               keith.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:54:35 PM »
Teplické sklo is the name of the glassworks in Mstišov (the n.p. stands for Národní podnik, which Marcus Newhall translated in his book as "national corporation" - i.e. state owned enterprise.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 12:05:18 AM »
 :-[see,lots to learn ::) :pb:

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:38:25 AM »
Hi friends, bOBA focused me towards Skrdlovice, seems to me  he is right. Please do not close this issue until we will check it carefuly.
Thank you and thanks to bOBA.

Jindrich

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 04:18:26 PM »
I found a good postive identification for this item that Jindra also agrees with! Thanks J. This is a very good match for a 1955 Skrdlovice popelnik, (ashtray),  designed by M. Veliskova and Rudolf Beranek (pattern number 5563).

The co-designing of items at Skrdlovice was apparently encouraged at times by those in charge as good examples of communist workers working together. M. Veliskova and Rudolf Beranek generally designed seperately though.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 04:42:52 PM »
Confirmed - pattern 5563. :hiclp:

Rudolf Beranek, nephew of Emanuel Beranek was young boy at glassblower in Skrdlovice. Seems to me that he is mentined as co-designer of this pattern becouse in fact he has blowed it according to Mrs. Veliskova design. Rudolf still lives in Skrdlovice, but he us ill and his memory is lost so it will be very difficult to find the real and correct answer why he is mentioned as author of this pattern.

It is known that young Rudolf Beranek and and young Jan Beranek (son of Emanuel) were very wild and indiscinable at that time and young female artists like Velišková, Svobodová, Žertová, Stáhlíková had to resist many offers from them. But they liked to work with this two cousins becouse they were very open to experimets and very profesional in their glass blowing skills.

Jindrich

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand