No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edvard Hald Graal bowl for Orrefors, 1926  (Read 13363 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Edvard Hald Graal bowl for Orrefors, 1926
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 07:56:50 AM »
Lovely bowl...any chance of seeing the Poli piece???  :-[

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 09:27:25 PM »
With regard to books on Scandinavian glass,there was, as usual, a very informative thread on the topic on GMB recently. It's at
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34071.msg184421.html#msg184421

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »
Johnphillip,

Good spot ! If you check page 107 (top), you'll see both the bowl on page 109 (which is a slightly different shape) and this exact bowl design side by side.

Kocoma, they are described as being in the Collection von Bartha, Basel - might be worth you dropping them a line. (jp, apols, after typing I see you'd already mentioned this)

Gareth

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
http://www.vonbartha.com/

Add a couple of zeroes! LOL :rn:
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
Another person worth sending an email to regarding value is Bo Knutsson:

www.boknutsson.com/

He has several items by Hald and Gate and only deal with the best items.

Best Regards
Emil

Offline pekoe02

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 12:25:30 AM »
It looks to be a nice bowl but there are several things not quite right about the signature of this bowl. Normally S Graal indicates Simon Gate as the designer. KB is the monogramme for Knut Bergquist and normally the engraver would also monogramme it. In 1926 this was most usually HW for Heinrich Wollman. However in this case Hald has been added rather crudely I think when you compare it to the style of the other monogrammes. Also the number of the piece does not appear to correspond to 1926. So I have questions about it.
The crack in the base may be a tension crack resulting from the different cooling rates of the glass of the base from the glass of the bowl.
I would certainly concur that you should try Bukowskis, I would suggest Eva Seeman, you could also try Malin Rebessi at Stockholms Auktionsverk. I am doubtfull that the piece would exite Bo Knuttsons interest because of the damage on it.
If the piece was perfect and the signature right, I would expect it to make possibly 60,000 - 80,000 Swedish Crowns at auction in Sweden. However with the damage and the questionable signature I think that a valuation of about 25% of that is indicated, maybe less.

Offline pekoe02

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 12:40:01 AM »
I've checked the numbering of this bowl again and it does correspond to the production in 1926. But I remain unconvinced about the signature.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:13 AM »
Pekoe:

I can understand your concerns about the damage. However, I'm not sure I quite understand your concerns about the signature. Do you doubt that Hald designed it? That seems unlikely given the close similarity between this bowl and the bowl pictured on p. 109 of Duncan. Is it the ligature of S to G? Wickman's Orrefors  says that this "usually means" designed by Gate, but also shows an example if the S over the G on a piece designed by Hald.  Wickman also has Berqqvist working until 1928, so that is OK.

I don't know enough to say whether you are right or wrong, so I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm simply trying to trying to understand your concerns.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 01:45:27 PM »
I am doubtfull that the piece would exite Bo Knuttsons interest because of the damage on it.

True, but he'd know what it's worth.

Best Regards
Emil

Offline pekoe02

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 01:50:04 PM »
Hello David,
My concerns about the signature are that it is rather unlike signatures on Swedish thinwalled Graal that I have seen before. However the pieces I've seen before are all from 1917 to about 1921. At that time the signatures were more flowing and confident with for example a pronounced serif to the start of the down stroke of KB.

However I've done a little more research on this. Heinrich Wollmann died in 1923 and after that Orrefors stopped putting the monogramme of the engraver on the pieces. I see from 'Orrefors 100' a signature from 1925 that is quite similar to this one, and Ulrika Ruding says that somtimes Hald was written in full rather than the initials EH or Hd.
So maybe the signature is OK.
I don't know the size of this piece and we can't compare it with the sizes in Duncan/von Bartha because they are not indicated, but the proportions appear similar.
Looking again at the cracks in the base I no longer think that is a tension crack which would be smoother, it is most likely damage.
My estimate last night of the selling price at auction is assuming a fairly large size, but I don't know this. The similarity with pieces from the von Bartha collection would help the price somewhat. Though I think it likely that Bukowskis or Auktionsverk would want to put it with an estimate of SeK 4,000. I would be interested to know their estimate as to value.

Geoff

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand