No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: caithness questions  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
caithness questions
« on: May 29, 2007, 03:33:25 PM »

Here is the result of charity shop trawling in Edinburgh and St. Andrews. Questions arising are:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7265
When was the "good design" label in use; when was the b/w paper label "CG" used; if it is a specific year award, is there a designer attached?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7264
Number 2 and 3 are obvious; but is the dark brown one also a Caithness product or is it Åseda?  Manufacturing style is the same:  blown in a mould, no pontil, neck polished.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7263
Same type of question. Number 2 and 3 must be Caithness, but is Number 1 as well? The bottom is polished, a feature not seen in any of the other Caithness products - so it just might be Johansfors.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-7262
Just for good measure, there is no question about these - unless they have a name, of course.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: caithness questions
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
Start with no question  ;) Flamenco Daisy vase, colours would indicate a year not on here yet:

Scotlands Glass

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 05:02:35 PM »
Hi Ivo - nice little haul of Caithness you have there.  In picture number 3 you question if vase 1 is Caithness - it certainly looks it to me - I've bought (and sold) quite a number of these bud vases in various colours and always understood them to be Caithness.  They seem to more often than not get mistaken for Whitefriars but the difference between them is that the Caithness are perfectly spherical at the base and WF are a flattened teardrop.  I think I have a pattern number for it - I'll double check my records.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 06:56:08 PM »
The Design Centre was so called from 1956 to 1972 and endorsed particular products (or probably ranges). Manufacturers could submit things for endorsement and were allowed to apply the stickers if granted approbation. DC was renamed the Design Council and product endorsement ceased in 1988. Your stickered vase is a Braemore vase in heather, possibly designed by Domhall O'Brion (wrong spelling, I think). Pkay has a good selection of Caithness here

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:05:09 PM »
Great link Christine - Peter's Caithness site is so useful - it's just reminded me that that's where I got the info for the bud vase I was talking about (but forgot) :-) it's much further down the page and is called 'Stroma' - Ivo's is, I think, in the Moss colourway.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:08:16 PM »
Most of the Caithness input to Scotlands Glass is Peter too.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:20:58 AM »
Thank you for all the info, it is precisely what I hoped for.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Ivo, all your images above have vanished. Could you add them back onto the board for future reference please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand