No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Joys oF a UV reactive light bulb in a Bagley Tulip lamp  (Read 2173 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
After weeks of haranguing local lighting and hardware shops and trawling the net I have sourced and purchased a UV reactive black light bulb to fit my Bagley Uranium glass tulip lamp.  I am delighted with the effect it's stunning - although now I can no longer read by its light.
..... so excited by the effect I needed to share!
Cheers
Meegs

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: The Joys oF a UV reactive light bulb in a Bagley Tulip lamp
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »
Congratulations!  Can you send us a link to a picture? 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:13:10 AM »
I find a low-energy bulb in mine gives a good rich colour and a useful light. Awaiting the arrival of a second one also for use as a light.

BTW to be pedantic it's the glass that's UV reactive; the bulb produces the UV light.

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Here's a quick snap, taken in darkness ( 10:30 pm here ).
Yes, you're of course quite correct Lustrousstone  the glass is reactive, but when looking for the bulb I was instructed to call  the bulb "UV Reactive" as not all black lights are created equal :). This bulb is 15w.
I'm also guilty of having two of these lamps; and yes a 20w low-energy bulb gives out lovely light through the lamp.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll71/marmite_2008/100_9697.jpg

All the best
Meegs

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 11:19:44 AM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: On a plinth as well! Hmm, perhaps mine need plinths.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »
I've never seen this lamp on a plinth, nor have I seen it so in Bagley documentation.   I can't see how it would work unless the plinth had been modified to provide an exit point for the flex.   This is an inherently dangerous process as you have no idea of how well the plinth has been annealed, and so it is a modification that should only be attempted by professionals.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:35:26 PM »
Depends on your cable; fine two-core like mine has would be OK as it would go over the step in the plinth.  No extra holes necessary. (And yes it's properly wired.)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »
I can't wait to see glass under a UV light too -- I mean I have at shows, but when it is one of Your pieces -- it just makes it that much more *Special*

;)
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:39:31 PM »
My obsession includes purchasing any plinths I find at a reasonable cost. That particular one I think is a Davidson cloud glass as its colours appear to me to be briar and topaz. The lamp fits/stands/balances nicely on it. As the bulb is fluorescent and does not give off a lot of heat I was not overly worried; thank-you Bernard for your advise I will keep and eye on it. Yes the flex comes out the side of the lamp and over the rim of the stand. There is normally a lot of clutter of trinket pots and candlesticks surrounding the lamp so a little elevation was in order.
Antiquerose123, beware the addictive qualities of seeing your own glass under black light. I started with a small torch (I would carry in my bag when I went glass shopping) from here  http://www.homeofpoi.com/ , then to this bulb and now I feel the need to black light a display cabinet!

Cheers
Meegs

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:51 AM »
Bet you can't beat my 6 ft UV tube. The OH picked it up and uses it to show off to visitors sometimes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand