No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech or ? vase  (Read 954 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Czech or ? vase
« on: June 08, 2010, 07:18:37 PM »
Hi

I bought this piece as possibly Skrdlovice, but now that it's in my possession I'm not so sure. It's 23 cm tall, about 9 cm across and weighs 1.58 kilos. The blue darkens to a deep cobalt at the top and the shapes on the vase are very symmetrical, four vertical lines of two eyes, and four of one eye. The vase are been hot worked like a similar Skrdlovice piece, but the eyes aren't the result of the glass being pushed by a tool. The eye shapes stand out from the vase, as can be seen in picture 2.

Czech, German, Scandinavian? Thanks for any help.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Czech or ? vase
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »
Sorry I cannot help much! Looks like a good quality, well designed vase though, hopefully somebody will recognise it. The clear design will be recognisable to anybody who has seen it before surely. On seeing it, a possible Czech origin crossed my mind but with great modern glassmaking coming out from many countries especially these days ...... hopefully someone will have seen one with a label...

Robert bOBA

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:44:10 AM »
Still searching for this one. Ooops, that's a bump.

David

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:53:49 AM »
I have one that is very similar that I always thought was Chinese. Looks lovely in my cabinet though and it would be nice to be proved wrong on this occasion.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 05:59:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Do you have a picture? I hadn't thought Chinese, although I have a few. Any particular reason for thinking Chinese?

Thanks again,

David

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 06:09:35 AM »
Not really, just a hunch. I have not seen any other pieces with that type of opening until now.

Although mine does not have the circular feature near the top the opening and the base are the same. I will take some pictures and put them up later.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Hi there:
I was trolling through some websites just a few days ago, and also had stumbled on some of those vases that look alot like the Czech ones.  I remember this because I thought to myself, "Oh, God - now how would I tell the difference."  To me, there was only a slight variation from the Czech ones.....and somehow, it seems to me that the Company was a Canadian company, which shocked me.  I believe they were still old, but I had never seen (or known) that a Canadian company had made glass vases like that.  Gee, I wished I could remember the site. 

I know I was hunting around about Lorraine Glass here lately, and some other Canadian Glass, tulip vase, and also about Uranium glass........or I might have found it stating it was Canadian (and Uranium) and looked at lot like your vase (and like the one I have).

All I remember is that I stumbled upon it....and it looked very much like Skrdlovice, and I also remember that they showed that it contained Uranium.....and that all I can recall was I having been using tag words such as:  Uranium, tulip vase, petals, vases, vaseline, and I think also the word Lorraine glass ----  in these past few days....and on one of the sites a vase just like Skrdlovice (but it wasn't listed as such) and it glowed.  THAT I remember !!!!!!

I was almost going to post a topic in the Cafe about it -- but then decided not too....Now I wished I had.

That all I can help with -- but the ID on it (I remember) kinda shocked me, and also interested me.  Rats, I should have posted it in the Cafe !!!  Maybe you can stumble upon it .....as I do remember it glowed, and only found it as I went into the numerous sites.

I should have posted it....  :hb2: :hb2:

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:56:15 AM »
Rose:  Thanks for trying to remember  the link. I had a look for similar Lorraine piece today and no luck. I'd be very surprised if it were Lorraine, but I've been surprised before. I looked at the piece again and I'm pretty sure it's not Chinese either. The shading is very nicely done, well polished base, and nicely finished mouth. The clincher is the design. It really is well designed and carefully executed. One I'll keep looking for.

Thanks all.

David

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 06:29:13 AM »
Yes, when I saw it -- I thought the attribution was wrong for Lorraine Glass, as it looked so much like Skrdlovice, but then I did not know IF Skrdlovice has any glowing pieces.....so I (was) thinking about posting this in the cafe as I was confused too as I had never seen Lorraine glass look that way, or glowed....or even IF Skdlovice glass glows....but their was 2 pics of it.  Looked like my vase, with only some slight variations.....so that is why I too was confused.

God, I wish I had posted that link when I saw it....I am mad at myself now...as I believe the attribution was wrong, but then was it some rare (???) Skrdlovice, or someone else piece ??

I dunno know...all I know is I stumbled on it, when I was trolling through pages..

:spls:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:34:13 AM »
Rose:

Just checked my piece with UV light and, nada, not even close to a glow. The search continues.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand