No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help Please : Kralik Jugendstil Vase?  (Read 4005 times)

Offline cypher

• Members
ID Help Please : Kralik Jugendstil Vase?
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:48 PM »
I was bad this morning  :-[  I let my emotions determine how much I was going to pay for something, but now that I finally bought it after 8 months of staring at it in a local shop here, I'm in love with it.  Next is determining just what it is for certain. :)  It was marked Kralik Jugendstil but I don't have the reference material needed to research this piece with the exception of the internet.  Anyone have an idea? :)  Dimensions are 11.5" tall x 3.5" in Diameter at the top and 5" in diameter in the middle.  Rich cobalt blue on base ascending to a golden yellow towards the top.  The vase has a beautiful light iridescence surrounding the entire piece.  I had such a difficult time photographing it so I apologize for the poor photos.  Thanks. :)

Offline Mac

• Members
    • Canada
    • Bohemian Glass Collector
Re: ID Help Please : Kralik Jugendstil Vase?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:54:50 PM »
I have a piece in the same decor and after asking a few folks we settled on Kralik as the maker. Look here on my blog to compare:http://bohemianglasscollector.blogspot.com/search/label/Kralik. Scroll down about 7 or 8 pics. Hold it up to the sun for some real magic. It is a beauty!

Mac
http://bohemianglasscollector.blogspot.com/
http://vanbrigglepottery.blogspot.com/

Offline cypher

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »
I actually just found "Czechoslovakia" very faint on the bottom, but it is present.  It took the right light source at the right angle to see it. :)  Your piece is very similar in type and very beautiful! 

Offline cypher

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:38:43 AM »
As a follow up - in the main post, I didn't mean the vase was marked Kralik Jugendstil of course.  I meant a tag was marked as such. :) oops!  :ooh:

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
Welz maybe?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
I would be very interested in seeing the font of the mark on the underside.... assuming it is acid stamped....  is it upper case block letters, or upper and lower case letters? 

I felt, for quite a while, that these were likely Kralik pieces, including the couple of similar examples (decor wise) that Mac has on his site.

Recent research I have been involved in has now led me in the direction of thinking that there is a very strong possibility that this variation, although similar to some Kralik decors, is actually Welz production. 

There are some strong shape similarities to other Welz pieces I have identified, and the foot design is also basically the same as some pieces which are absolutely Welz production in different decors....

Great piece....  It is only the second example of this piece I have seen..... The other is not marked and is in Spain.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »
Lovely!  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: Do I spot uranium content?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline cypher

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:04:32 AM »
Here are photos of the font/mark on the bottom and UV photos.  I apologize again for the photos.  I am currently in the middle of a move so I do not have my normal photography station setup so I had some major difficulties photographing the mark on the bottom (that and the mark is very faint.)  I also do not have my UV lights unpacked yet so the only thing I could find handy was a low wattage 6" handheld UV light I take to shows (hence why you can see me holding it behind the vase in the 2nd photo. :)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
Your images showed me what I wanted to see, and no need to apologize at all for them these kinds of marks can be quite difficult to capture an image of.

The style of font in the stamp would have me lean further towards Welz as the manufacturer of this piece. Although the stamps are really, in almost all cases, only provenance marks and not positive indicators of house that produced it,  I would not associate this style of font with an acid stamp on a Kralik piece. 

Although there are a handful of stamps, such as the arched Czechoslovakia mark (Kralik), and the Czecho-Slovakia in an oval (Loetz) which are consider to be identifiers, most acid stamps either support an attribution, or at least point away from a company without indicating a definitive attribution.

All of that said, and again, not proof positive, my attribution for the piece would be Welz production. 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand