No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Skrdlovice Beranek or Kotik ? Propeller? ID = Skrdlovice "Propeller"  (Read 9161 times)

Offline Andy

• Members
just got this from a local auction, no bargains today, had to outbid the dealers  :'(
My first thoughts were Jan Kotik , propeller vase, or is it a Beranek design, colours match some of my
Beranek pieces???
What is the opinion of the panel??
Cheers
Andy
 ;D
( oh its 2.7kg, 8 inches tall)
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice Beranek or Kotik ? Propeller?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
Hi Andy,

I looked at a relatively similar piece a while back, which I was hoping was a Kotik Propeller, i think the view was that it was a modification of Jan Kotik Skrdlovice piece. Sure someone on here will be able to give you confirmation soon.

Greg :)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 03:52:15 PM »
Wow, that's a coincidence. I just bought what looks like the exact same piece in a green colour. But it's going to be in the mail for a while before I get it home and can really compare it. I'm at least glad to know my Skrdlovice hunch was probably right!

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
In Czech glass design in an age of Adversity by Arnoldsche, there is a pic of a propeller vase,
Colourless glass with a yellow tinge. It says designed by Jan Kotik 1955, executed by
Emanuel Beranek. "The vase is a document for Kotiks cooperation with Emanuale Beranek in Skrdlovice"
So i expect my vase was made by Emauel Beranek, based on jan Kotiks design
Maybe?
Just found this link,
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=29612.0
I think from that thread, mine is a propeller vase
"Skrdlovice, Czechoslovakia, Jan Kotik 1955,
pattern 5503" quote from Jindrich.

Jindrich, am i right with this one  ;D

(Astrid, look forward to seeing yours  ;)  )

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:13:35 PM »
I think Andy is right, this is a straightforward Jan Kotik designed "propeller" vase made at Skrdlovice, pattern 5503. I have a very similar one. The first of these was smaller but the larger 8 inch version soon overtook it in popularity. There is always a degree of variation in hand-modelled pieces.  I tend to view these thicker lobed, darker coloured ones as earlier examples than most. I expect Jindra will agree. He also has said previously that this design was a popular moonlighting job for blowers, once they were used to making them, they colud be quite easily produced for extra cash after hours...
He made this point in a thread a while ago!!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »
Exactly, as bOBA stated.
Jan Kotik was predominantly painter, see for example
http://www.jirisvestka.com/exhibition-detail/jan-kotik-prints--works-on-paper-and-paintings-from-1940-70.

In 50ties he could not paint (or rather sale his paints) becouse of different oppinion of communistic estabilishment about culture, he worked in design. Since 1950 to 1955 he has designed for Skrdlovice glasswork 71 objects, few of them I displayed here http://www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo/10-VYROCI-TYDNE-JUBILEE, scroll to the almost bottom of page.

Kotik never blow or cut glass. The patterns had created according his designs Mr. Emanuel Beranek, later followed by many Skrdlovice glassblowers and glassmasters.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:52:11 PM »
Wonderful  :hiclp:
Thanks Robert and Jindrich  :thup:
And more good news, the vase came with a small box of china and bits and pieces, i had a look through, i
didnt think there was much else apart from the vase, so i took it all to the charity shop, apart from a
little Hummel Goebel figurine,which i kept to google it, and i think it will pay for the vase, i had no
idea they sell for quite good money  ;D
Must buy a lottery ticket !
Andy

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Skrdlovice Beranek or Kotik ? Propeller? ID = Skrdlovice "Propeller"
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 04:49:09 AM »
Well Andy, we people from former communistic camp have a different sense for luck.

Luck is when at 3 a.m. secret police officer knocks your door and is seeking not you but your neighbor  ;D
Simmilar luck I had yesterday when hard storm just missed my village.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:44:12 AM »
Yeah! The one I was talking about got in too. So far, I almost didn't dare hope, but the quality looks excellent, this got to be a real one as well! Can I say I now own my very own Kotik Skrdlovice propeller vase? And I bought it for 10 euro, plus 13 euro including shipping... that has to be a great bargain!

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »
Astrid, it's beautiful!  I love the color...  Oh, I'm one very jealous woman  :mrgreen:.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand