No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Murano?
« on: December 02, 2005, 01:41:45 PM »
Do I actually have my first piece of Murano glass?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/murano.JPG
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10026/muranob.JPG

Cased green clover/shamrock controlled bubble ashtray/bowl.
Or am I way off the mark :?:

Thanks.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Murano?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:47:02 PM »
Most probably but it's hard to be 100% sure as there has been so much copying although this does look like the kind of thing which has been made for the Italian tourist trade.
Glass using similar styles and techniques to Murano glass comes from many other makers, much of it good quality, such as Erickson (USA) Chalet (Canada) ITEC (Venezuela) and unknown makers (China & elsewhere ?).
See other topics in this forum.

Here is a green and golden amber Murano 4 leaf clover / Shamrock style bowl.

This one bought in Rome in the early 1970's according to the seller, a nice Irish lady.

Note: Just because it looks like Murano and was bought in Italy doesn't prove it's Murano, as Italian sellers have been known to import glass from other countries and label it with stickers which suggest or even state "Murano". Having said that, it's most likely that this one is, as Murano glassmakers have produced a large amount of glass like this for the tourist and giftware markets.

Here's another in amber, this one with bullicante (bubbles)
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Murano?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:06:29 PM »
Thanks Peter. I love the first pic you posted, what a gorgeous item.
My 11 year old daughter chose the one I have, she just seem to have this thing about glass with bubbles in it. She stares in wonderment at the bubbles and how they are put in without any marks being left on the outside.
I have read tons of the posts in this forum and they are very intersting and educative.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Murano?
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 07:07:32 PM »
Hello Della,
Welcome to our Murano section!
Im glad to hear you have been reading our other posts.
I think Peter gave you a nice, short and sweet review of about 10 topics on here, lol, if not more! The simpler the piece, the harder it really is to make attributions, since the "controlled bubble" patterns has been made by so many companies.
The main thing, of course, is that your daughter loves it!
That's great to hear :)
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand