No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SPOTTY VASE - HELP WITH ID IF POSS...  (Read 5255 times)

Offline Rosie1

• Members
SPOTTY VASE - HELP WITH ID IF POSS...
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:15:50 PM »
Hi,
Another one for help please.

It's 10" high and has clear glass "spots" that have a sort of prism effect if looked through.
The base is cut in a star.

It's very attractive and seems good quality.

Thanks in advance

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Rosie1

• Members
Re: SPOTTY VASE - HELP WITH ID IF POSS...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »
Sorry forgot to add picture of base

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rosie1

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »
I have had a bit of a look on the web and personally think it is Sklo Union. Just a guess though.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
I doubt it, it might be Czech / Bohemian, but not Sklo Union.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:50:59 PM »
Snap! ;D,Bohemian or there abouts ;D
                                          Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 09:28:19 PM »
Anne is quite correct, of course, and we should all by now have remembered that 'Sklo Union' is not an attribution for a factory - but rather implying Czech. origins only, and seems to have arisen from the title of a recent book on Czech glass.    I guess it must make the experts here wince a little, since if you read the intros. to Marcus Newhall's book 'Sklo Union', the acknowledgements read like a who's who's for the GMB.....Anne, Christine, Max, Della, Frank et al.    It is, however, probably rare that a book has encouraged perhaps a misuse of a description  .......can we ask Marcus to re-title his book do you think :24:    Have I got all that right Anne? :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
Sklo Union refers to pressed glass which was mass-produced at those specific glass factories in Czechoslovakia which were "under the control of a single organisation known as Sklo Union" (quoted text is direct from Marcus' book, page 11).  The actual factories changed slightly during the period 1958-1989 - full details are also given in the book (pages 10/11).

The full book title makes it very clear: Sklo Union Art Before Industry: 20th Century Czech Pressed Glass.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
To be accurate, pressed domestic glassware is the focus of the book. Some of the Sklo Union factories discussed in detail also made other glass items and some of the barely mentioned Sklo Union factories made more industrial stuff; the point is that Borske Sklo (mould blown glass) and the factories, such as Chribska, hand making items were not part of Sklo Union.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 02:18:18 PM »
x

Sklo Union is in fact not very correct term. After WWII in 1945 were all glass factories nationalized (only 2 Skrdlovice and Rudihut survived but only 3 years more) and 16 so called national corporation has been created (n.p. = national corporation). After communistic putsch in 1948 were national corporations again re-organized and several corporations splited some other united. The most important issue is that on 1949 was established Skloexport (Glassexport) - the company that exclusively exported Czechoslovakian glass produced in all national corporations with exception of Jablonecke sklárny exported through Jablonex)

Than next re-organization came in 1958 other next in 1965 when the Sklo Union o.p was firstly created - Sklo Union covered 14 directly managed factories for flat glass production and container glass. Before 1965 we cannot talk about "Sklo Union" because this phenomenon did not exist. Another re-organization has appeared in 1971 and the last in 1988. The structure of national and state corporation is quite difficult and cannot be described within few lines.

Marcus correctly identified 4 main factories that worked since 1945 under the common management and produced domestic glass (Rudolfova hut, Hermanova Hut, Libochovice, Rosice + part time Nemsova) and he has covered under the Sklo Union label, what sounds for Czechs a bit strange.
Sklo Union name for us means mainly flat glass, bottles and glass insulations production, also the football team, for older guys.
But I can accept this designation, for foreigners it is much easier. Who cares that the most of Vizner’s  “Sklo Union“ pressed pieces were produced in concern named VHJ Obalové a lisované sklo.

Speaking about the glass we collect – art and domestic glass – in Czechoslovakia were two another big producers of pressed glass – Jablonecké sklo n.p. and  Sklárny Bohemia Poděbrady.

I never seen the vase displayed at pictures, but the overlay technique focus me just to Bohemia Podebrady n.p.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 02:36:50 PM »
I don't know your location Rosie, which can help a great deal.

I've seen a vase exactly the same as your blue one in a local antique centre - very nice thing indeed, though not something I have space for and it doesn't fit.

I'm thinking   :spls:  that if you're in the uk, Paul's in the uk and I'm here too.... which makes 3 vases here....  and that if Jindrich hasn't seen it, then the implication is that it might not be of Czech origin after all.....?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand