No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Purple bowl - ID = Cambridge Helio  (Read 5957 times)

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
Re: Purple Davidson bowl???
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 05:42:01 AM »
The colour is solid not applied, Its very nicely made and seems a quality piece, Brockwitz would be nice  ;D   Cheryl

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 10:08:16 AM »
It also reminds me very much of Sowerby "Essex", the panels and the base are very like but the rims on those "Essex" pieces shown in Glen's Sowerby CD (Vol 2 George V - Elizabeth II) are wavy not plain like Cheryl's.

More searching of catalogues needed methinks. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
I like to thank you all for your searching, :thup:   the purple seems to be very dark purple in a dull light but in bright light the edges almost seem blueish.   Thanks again hope we can find a maker.    Cheryl

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 04:28:56 PM »
Looks to me like a Cambridge 2800/234 basin bowl in Helio  from around 1922 to 1926. These came with a decent sized pitcher that sat in the bowl, not a large pitcher, more medium sized. I'm 95% certain. There was a small Cambridge showroom in London for a few years & thats where many Cambridge figural flower frogs came from that still survive today in the UK. Ken

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:14 PM »
Thank you so much Ken,  I did a quick search of Cambridge Glass and soon came up with several items in the Helio colour. I found a lovely 3 piece mayo set in this colour and a couple of vases. So I think we are safe to say it is definately Cambridge glass. I would never have guessed that in a million years!!!  ;D  Thanks to you all for your help, I'm so glad we found a maker.   Cheryl :thup:  :chky:

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
Davidsons certainly made experimental colours.  I myself made dozens of weird and wonderful colours in small skittle pots holding about 10 lbs of glass.  My only reservation would be that a 7" bowl is a bit big to get out of such a pot.  I pass on the mould - can't remember if I saw that one or not.

I never tried a purple opal but I know of no reason why manganese in a fluoride or phosphate opal would not work.  I'm sure that other people would have continued to experiment long after I left.  How any samples made in this way escaped into the wild must be left to the imagination!

Adam D.

Offline mrs vulture

• Members
    • Norwich, England
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »
I've found just one or two more Cambridge pieces in this helio colour,not in this shape, all in USA, it apparently only had a short run being made. Think I'll keep it  ;D   I can just imagine the trial Davidson colour pieces being taken home and given to someones mum. Nice.     Cheryl

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 09:09:44 AM »
Here are some Helio bits, including transparent Helio

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:54 PM »
Christine the chataboutDG "transparent Helio" link picked up on the name Helio, however the color of that vase is Mulberry which is not a Cambridge opaque. Thats a search engine problem with the chataboutDG site as at times it picks up on text not related to the piece being shown. That verbage should be changed from transparent to opaque & I'll email Jo & Suzanne. Thanks for pointing that out.

Adam the bowl appears in the reference "Colors in Cambridge Glass" Volume I by the National Cambridge Collectors. I am a 20 year member of the organization. The 2800/234 basin bowl appears on Plate 6, Row 4 under Azurite, another of Cambridge opaques. I've never counted the number of line blanks used for Cambridge opaques from 1922 through 1927, but I suspect they would number over 100 & most blanks can be found in every Cambridge opaque color.  Ken

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 08:57:29 PM »
As soon as I saw the picture, I said "Cambridge Helio" to myself, and I now see that Ken has beat me to the post! The other key to ID this piece is the "colonial style" pattern. I have seen quite a few of these Cambridge pieces in a variety of interesting opaque colors, but I think Helio is one of the best! The Cambridge firm was a large and important manufacturer in the 1920s, and they surely had contacts who were involved in exporting to the UK and other parts of the world.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand