No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this glass sculpture be a Boffo bull ?  (Read 13822 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Could this glass sculpture be a Boffo bull ?
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 09:11:33 AM »
Hi Patrick,

Thanks very much for that it would be really good to see it ! :thup:
Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »
What Ho! I don't see anything here to make me think this is Boffo. The colour is not golden amber or lighting amber and it does not look in the style of Boffo friggers. Boffos friggers were generally more 'cartoony' and do not try to be anatomically accurate. Also the crimping on the tail is not Boffo-ish.
It is a very nice piece but in my opinion very unlikely to be Boffo, mostly likely Murano. Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 11:40:16 AM »
Cheers Wolfie,

I'm on a quest to try and find a Boffo animal figure and this thread is really helping...it's an interesting observation that his style was 'cartoony'. This bull, as you say, is more anatomically accurate. Cheers, Mike
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »
Ooops ! Sorry, correction on the colour description ...I typed amber and meant to say Cinnamon/Brown  :-[ ! Errr I'm not that colour blind.... :-* I will make a trip to the Harrow Museum to see the Boffo bull ! Ta Mike.
Mike

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 08:51:31 PM »
Hi Mike,
  I am not aware of Boffo making this style of bull but Harrow Museum have one but that is nothing like yours.

Hi , Well I was right about it not being anything like yours................. It turned out to be a HORSE !!!!!!!!

Here is pic. courtesy of Mike Beech.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That's dreadful in my eye. It looks like something I would expect from West Virginia.  :nogos:

Sorry wf fans.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I couldnt agree more Anita i have difficulty believing Boffo made it when you see his other great works -ie Penguins Fish- Rats - et al . JP :cry: :spls: Maybe a bad day .

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi,
 I agree also that it is VERY different from any other known piece by Boffo. I would like to know it's provenance and will make inquiries. The colour seems to be Arctic Blue or maybe Ocean Green.
 Regards,
            Patrick :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
Good grief !  :o No wonder it's not on display ! Speechless  :-X . Thanks Mike and Patrick ! It is a cartoon though !
Mike

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 05:22:30 PM »
In Murano lots of the glasshouses make horses like this for the tourists (because Venice is famous for the four horses in the Doge's Palace).  I've seen young lads make a better horse than this in a matter of minutes!  (At least, they used to.  I think they may import them from China now.  IMHO the Chinese would probably make a better job of a horse than this!)  Well, we can't all be good at everything!  ;)   :24:

Looks like Arctic Blue to me, Patrick. 
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand