No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this glass sculpture be a Boffo bull ?  (Read 13795 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Could this glass sculpture be a Boffo bull ?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »
It just irritates the hell out of me when people vote"NO" without a hint of what it could be or a comment of any kind, but we do seem on W/F.com to have a phantom "NO" voter at the moment who votes not even when clearly it IS!!!!!!!

:spls: :spls:

I don't know if it is or it isn't but it is a substantial and nice piece.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »
Hi Mike,
 Not sure about the amber being right but as always very difficult from an image.
 All animal friggers are very difficult unless known examples have provenance. I am not aware of Boffo making this style of bull but Harrow Museum have one but that is nothing like yours. I am visiting someone who knew and worked with Boffo in a weeks time and will show him your pic. Will report back then.
 Your bull is certainly a fine example and I can understand why you are pleased with it.  How has it been finnished where it has come off the iron????  Is it ground and polished ?
 Regards, Patrick.

Ps, I voted 'Don't know '

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 06:20:58 PM »
I totally agree with you ! I have now asked for a reason for the 'no' votes ! ...I have had great help in the past from WF.com on items I have posted there ....as you say it really is a lovely piece and could possibly be a Boffo (father or son ) . If it is or isn't it certainly is on par and I hope it's possible to get close to an attribution by some way or another !
Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 06:35:31 PM »
Sorry Patrick , My reply was for Emmi , we must have crossed in the post. Everything seems to be heat polished , even down to the bull's bits 'n' bobs  ;) . There is crimping to the end of the tail (the other one !). How do you think the colour compares to your Boffo mouse ? I know it is difficult via the computer . I would so much like to see the one in the Harrow Museum or a photo of it ! I didn't know Boffo even made bulls !!
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
Neither WF or Murano are my areas, but I did sort of think "Murano" when I saw it, something even sort of quietly whispered "perhaps Cenedese?" at me. It certainly has a similar quality to Cenedese work.

The Boffos were Italian, but I have no idea how long, (or even if) they worked there before moving to WF.

I wouldn't go crying into your coffee yet. (apart from loosing anything in your bet, but that'll teach you to gamble  :P )
I reckon whatever it is, it's good.  :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:08:29 PM »
Thanks very much Sue ! ...It was only a tiny bet ! (still a tiny hope I might get my money back !). I will have to research Cenedese ! I'm really in the dark there  :pb: Ta, Mike.P.S.  Do you have any examples ?
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
You might be better off asking on the Murano forum - loads of expertise there.
All I know about Cenedese is that it whispers sweetly to me; "I am something very special."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
I might start a thread there and link it with this one (not sure if that will work) :ac1: It's worth a shot  :thup: Ta Mike.
Mike

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 08:17:45 PM »
Hello,

I'm afraid I have to ask......what makes anyone think this is W/F's and by Boffo? If it's based on the colour, then why not pick anyone of ten other companies?

Bull's were made by an infinate number of companies, probably in every country in the world.

Sorry, but I'm sitting here reading the thread and wondering "Is it me?" One tenuous link with a company and we have a possible attribution. Why???

Nigel

PS. Perhaps because I've been voting on W/F's dot com lately without making comment (as I do periodically) I am the current phantom on there? If comment was always required on the vote, personally I wouldn't vote!  :o :huh:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
I am the current phantom on there? If comment was always required on the vote, personally I wouldn't vote!  Shocked Huh?

No it is not a requirement that a comment is made, I was actually referring to some "NO" votes put on, when the item has been identified as Whitefriars, yet someone is adding a "NO" vote????? Mischievous? just plain stupid? or what?

Anyway, let's not digress from "the bull"!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand