No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Could this glass sculpture be a Boffo bull ?  (Read 13816 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Could this glass sculpture be a Boffo bull ?
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
Mike, please don't ask duplicate questions here and in Murano, just ask a Mod to move your topic to whichever form is needed. If we think it's the right thing to do, it'll be done for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 08:54:02 PM »
Beautiful -- I LOVE IT!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just rooting around here...
Flavio Poli (Lion) ?????????  http://www.antiquehelper.com/auctionimages/36052t.jpg

http://antiquehelper.rfcsystems.com/Full/836/51836.jpg

Maybe a (possible) BINGO here as to a maker ???
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/murano-glass-bull-v-nason-co-murano-italy

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 09:18:25 PM »
Thanks Nigel & Emmi ,

This piece just oozes qualitiy and in my humble opinion is a sculpture in glass...a real work of art . The colour is very similar to Patrick's Boffo mouse. I havn't seen the example at the Harrow Museum , which I'm sure would shed some very bright light on this bull. It is possible to make an attribution through colour and form plus technical style even through photos via the internet..... which is what this site and WF.com is all about.
What better starting point than colour and style ? The reason I mentioned Boffo was his prowess in aniamal sculpture in glass (along with the colour ). There has been no mention of an attribution here only a 'could this be ?'.  
A photo of the Harrow Museum bull would be of great advantage here for those of us who havn't seen an example of a Boffo bull ! ......Why not mention this  on WF.com when posting a 'NO' vote ?? Cheers Mike  :ac1:  

Mike

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 09:38:18 PM »
Really sorry Anne ; could you possibly delete the Murano thread and keep it going here ? Ta !  :-[ Mike.
Mike

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »
Hi Emmi  ,it could be that guy that votes no and then buys the item , as has happened before . thats one of the reasons i left the forum .I vote Murano . jp

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 11:09:04 PM »
Hi Antiquerose123 !

The mane looks different on the last bull , it looks pulled rather than attached. Both tail and mane  are added to this bull . There may be a small amount for clear casing on my bull ....legs and horns look quite clear. Very interesting.... the Lion and cow look very close to me !! I'm still a bit unsure though  ...  :-\
Mike

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »
It would be nice if this bull was by Boffo, but if I had bought it, I wouldn't be thinking that myself.   :-\  I'd have to agree with Nigel and say it could have been made just about anywhere, but for me, Italy would be my first choice.   :)

I am not a man

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 11:31:06 PM »
Yes , I do agree , I think I  shoudn't have mentioned Boffo and should have just left an open-ended question...no names !!   Next time I will just post photos and dimentions !!  :-X ! Sorry all & Nigel ! Thanks ! Mike . P.S. It's still a great piece.
Mike

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 01:31:16 AM »
I have the feeling this is an Italian bull. Mainly it is because so many Murano companies made bulls similar to this one. This one has the distinctive applied glass hump which makes it stand out. I also like the way the face is tucked into the chest. My inclination is to think it is Seguso VdA. Seguso workers often went the extra mile with applied glass details, and the color is one of their favorites for animals. This is just a possibility. I agree with the others that there are several companies that could have made it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 06:22:10 AM »
Hi Mike,
  I am not aware of Boffo making this style of bull but Harrow Museum have one but that is nothing like yours.

Hi Mike,
 Problems with copyright on this image, but as I said it is nothing vaguely resembling your bull. I will phone Harrow on Monday and ask about putting the pic on here.
 All best wishes,
                        Patrick. :) :) :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand