No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: No honours for glass  (Read 3909 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
No honours for glass
« on: June 12, 2010, 08:05:41 AM »
Congratulations to  Prof Magdalene Odundo Ceramicist on her OBE for services to Art and Henry Sandon on his MBE  for services to Broadcasting, the Ceramics ind, and to Charity. 

However, so far as I can see, there are no honours for glass this year in the Queen's birthday honours list.

I've always been fascinated at the way in which these baubles are dished out and how the pecking order is sorted out. I'm a great admirer of Magdelene Odundo and her superb work and I'm really pleased to see that her award is for services to art and not to clay!

In the microcosm that is the little world of ceramics and glass, it seems a slightly exaggerated differential that one should be OBE and the other MBE. It is probably based on a statistical model. I would have thought that with three fields of interest where he has excelled throughout such a distinguished career the Queen might at least have given Henry an OBE as well!!

Apologies if this is a bit subversive - I'll send you a postcard from the Tower.  :rn:
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Re: No honours for glass
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:35:04 AM »
Actually, the ceramics world did rather well with these two. Nothing for silver/gold/sculpture/design (except fashion) and the nearest crafts got was Rural Crafts - Hedge Laying. Nothing for weaving, wood. Couple of OBE's to painters, though.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:43:27 PM »
I think we need to see glass in more product placement, it needs more PR and we need to see more large scale outdoor or public places type installations - it may then rise a little in people's consciousness in this country.  Perhaps we need a glass piece up for the Turner prize to get some widespread chatter going, or maybe the Tate Modern needs to have some fabulous glass section so that more people see glass as art and in action?

m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:58 PM »
Those of us who put a huge effort into getting glass recognised have sort of gotten used it being ignored. Throughout the 2 years that Shiona and I spent on organising the 400th anniversary of glass we were able to stimulate not an iota of official interest with the single exception of the Edinburgh Convention burea who were extraordinarily helpful  :-\ But we did get some major exhibitions in most of the museums and ran the largest ever glass conference in the UK. We did make BBC news, quite an achievement for glass, and got good press in Scotland! And we, thanks to Seddon et al, changed Scottish history. We also enjoyed doing it. Still Terris did get an honour at some point!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:30 AM »
I would have thought that with three fields of interest where he has excelled throughout such a distinguished career the Queen might at least have given Henry an OBE as well!!
The Queen does the giving but I bet she has little say in the choosing. Isn't that down to the politicians, strongly guided by whoever provides the best "incentive" in the "best way" for a particular award?

See you in the Tower, Adam, but I reckon I might be thrown in there first. >:D
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
Quote from: Frank
And we, thanks to Seddon et al, changed Scottish history.

HI Frank , please don't forget it was Ian McKenzies theory that was supported and presented by Dr Seddon.
I can now report that the theory of Sir Robert Strange being the creator of the Diamond point inscriptions on Amen glasses is now being accepted world wide as 'in all probability correct', I can also report that Ian has recently been invited to examine all the Jacobite glass in the 'Corning' and 'Philadelphia' Museums, and give his opinion on authenticity.

All of which is no doubt a result of the wonderfull opportunity that the Scottish Glass Conference created,

Quote from: Frank
quote...'Those of us who put a huge effort into getting glass recognised have sort of gotten used it being ignored.',,,,

I am sure there are more than you think well aware and very appreciative of the great service you and Shiona did for the the great world of glass.

Cheers ,
           Peter.

oooops dont know how that ended up looking the way it does . quote and comment mixed up !!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
Yes apologies to Ian.. it was late and I was too lazy to look up his name  :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk