No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian? Amber/Brown Glass Bowl w Flared Base  (Read 2583 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Scandinavian? Amber/Brown Glass Bowl w Flared Base
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:08:15 PM »
I recently purchased this brown glass bowl.  It looks and feels Scandinavian and has a mid century look to it.  I found a similar bowl on this site stating that it is Kumela:  http://www.laatutavara.com/eng/index.php?page=product&id=1944&ryhma=0&aliryhma=4

I hope that link works.  I think that the bowl listed may be smaller and it is a blue color.  The bowl I own measures 8.75" inches in diameter around the rim and sits 4" inches tall.  I know a lot of glass colors look the same, but I just posted a Holmegaard decanter that matches the glass of this bowl exactly.

Any information or ideas would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Scandinavian? Amber/Brown Glass Bowl w Flared Base
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Looks like you have found it. 8)

John

Edit: Looks like yours is the serving bowl, while the blue one in the link (working fine) is desert bowl sized.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:16 PM »
Hi, the Kumela/Olavi Ruottinen dessert bowl you refer to is 5,3 inches in diameter, and I only know of colours blue, green and amethyst. They are still quite commonly found on fleamarkets etc. as the pressed glass is quite thick.  I do not know there would have been a serving dish for the series. Also in my eyes the base is not made the same way. Your bowl seems lighter and some kind "more fine" ?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:19:03 PM »
Interesting, there are subtle differences....

John

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »
It's been a long time since I've thought about this bowl, but I recently found this large & awesome chilling pitcher in an online auction.  i think it is such a fabulous piece of glass and the shape, to me, is out of this world.  it reminds me of the shape of a french press coffee maker.  Anyway, it is made of the same color glass with the heavy, flared base.  It measures 12" inches tall.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand