No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Crizzle Stone  (Read 5484 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Mdina Crizzle Stone
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:48:54 PM »
I arranged to buy this stunning Mdina Crizzle Stone this morning. I am still in a state of shock/disbelief/rapture. I always hoped I might find one for sale but thought the likelyhood ranged from slim to improbable.

The Stone measures 28cm wide and 19cm tall (unsigned).

All I need now, is two more to make a proper display. ;D

John

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: Mdina Crizzle Stone
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »
 :dance:

Suzy xxx

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
Well done  :kissy:  :hiclp: :hiclp:

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 09:35:08 AM »
 :hiclp: What an amazingly gorgeous piece of glass!@  :mrgreen:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
Only Michael Harris made them at Mdina, they were very difficult - especially when you consider how short a time he had had actually working with hot glass (by the time he left, only about 3 years, given the time he took out to get set up there) and that he had no "teacher" as such.

The wide shape was achieved using centrifugal force - spinning the hot glass on the end of the rod.
The crizzle effect is produced by shocking the surface of that gather of glass into cracking in cold water, then introducing sliver chloride salts into the cracks before further casing and blowing.
Iridescence appears on the surface if the gather "escapes" from the rod at some point, and the silver vapours escape from the inside of the glass and sublimate on the surface. Sometimes an electric blue-y sheen can arise inside a layer of casing from these vapours too.
The vapours are very toxic, and it's tragic to think that this beautiful effect may well have contributed to his early death from emphysema.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
I have been wondering about that aspect of his glass making for a while, that his art may have shortened his life. Makes you realise that although the current obsession with health and safety is sometimes trying, the legislation is necessary.

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
Makes you realise that although the current obsession with health and safety is sometimes trying, the legislation is necessary.

We went to Dartington a couple of weeks ago and Keith was surprised that the only compulsory PPE was specs and possibly steel-capped boots. Otherwise it was bare arms and legs, and in one case actually regularly passing behind someone in a fairly restricted space while carrying a gather on a rod. It was very interesting to watch factory style hand production though, which did include computerised stem drawing. We (read I) spent longer there than we'd expected.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
oh my. That is very very beautiful.  :clap:
m

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 01:01:02 PM »
John, now could you confirm your full address? do you have any dogs? major locks bolts on your doors window and what time do you go to bed and get up.. oh and neighbourhood watch is it any good in your street??? >:D >:D :24:
absolutly stunning you lucky wotsit
michelle  :mrgreen:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 05:14:11 PM »
Michelle, I have hardly left the house since I agreed to buy it, when I do it goes with me. I carry it from room to room as I move about the place and take it to bed with me when I sleep.

I think this is quite reasonable and justifiable behaviour.... ;D

The men in white coats will be coming for me soon but I have to cover the walls and ceilings in silver foil first.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand