No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Id request for Zelezny brod ?  (Read 6668 times)

Offline turquoisepetal

• Members
Id request for Zelezny brod ?
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
Hi

Just bought this from our local carboot, one of my local dealers has a stall and sells things fairly cheaply.

It is a pulled vase with a scene etched on it of a dragonfly, looks like it is signed M under the etching. I believe it is a Zelezny brod vase and not a mstisov due to the softness of the lines and colour.

The vase weights a massive 2 kilos and is 8" high and 10" at the widest part. I have just looked in HI Sklo lo Sklo and it is not in there. I am just about to buy Marcus book on sklo glass as I am find allsort of sklo glass at the moment. 

If anyone can help that would be great.

Regards

sam

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Id request for Zelezny brod ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »
Hi Sam,
I'd be very surprised if this vase were Czech.  I really don't know very much about glass since I'm just a beginner, but it seems to me that the thickness of the glass, the shape of the vase and the quality of the etching is not Czech.  I wonder what our knowledgable members will say about your vase?  It will be interesting to find out.

Anik

Offline surfersam

• Members
  • Just found a much needed passion for glass!
    • anglo creative
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »
Hi Anik,

I do believe that this is sklo union and I do Believe it is by either Mstisov or Srklovice or Zelezny ( Miloslav Kinger)

The shape and the thickness is typical of blown glass and the colouring is about right too! i don't think it is English, Italian or scandinavian either. The etching on the vase appears to be like Tockstein ( who enjoy taking influence from nature) see page 124 of Hi Sklo low Sklo.

Anyway thanks again for your comments they are greatly appreciated

Paul

www.milliesantiques.co.uk

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »
Hi Paul...

So I really am surprised if this is indeed a Zelezny Brod vase.  I see a world of difference between Sam's vase and those which have been attributed to ZB glassworks.   It looks too wonky -- the rim is different to anything I've seen, and the engraving (especially of the lily pads) is very uneven and almost child-like.

Hmmmm... 

But then again, someone will surely come along and prove me wrong...  And that's OK -- all part of the learning process.  ;D

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
Well I suppose I could be wrong! It only cost 6 pound and I am pretty sure I can make a very handsome profit who ever it my be!

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:00:50 PM »
Hi Sam...  I've got a request...  could you post another picture of the vase, this time with a full face view? (What I mean is, without a top angle...) 

Thank you  :)

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:03:17 PM »
Ok will do, just cooking a BBQ at the moment.
Oh by the way Sam is my better half.

Paul

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »
Strikes me immediately as ZBS - so not Sklo Union.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 06:19:46 PM »
Thank you, Ivo...  I did not register Paul's use of 'Sklo Union' when discussing the vase  :-[   

Ivo, are you sure it's ZBS?  Doesn't it look just a little wrong?  I really do think I've been sitting in front of my screen just a tad too long.  My eyes are obviously playing tricks on me.  ;)

Anik

Offline surfersam

• Members
    • anglo creative
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »
Here is the full on image you have asked for Anik. I did not even realise that ZBS was not part of the Sklo union. You learn something new everyday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand