No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystalex lamp! Yay!  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
Crystalex lamp! Yay!
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
Me and my girlfriend had the weekly (more like daily :) ) vintage shopping spree yesterday and I found my first Czech cut crystal overlay lamp! I've found a vase in the same style but wasn't really interested since they're not my primary target when it comes to my glass collection, besides, if I was to buy something in that style it had to be special. I've seen beakers, vases and decanters several times before but lamps seems to be a bit more scarce? I don't think it was a bargain (100 Euro) but considering the amount of work someone has put into it I think you'd have to pay a lot more if someone would make one today. It even came with an extra piece of cut crystal that says "Genuine Bohemian Chandelier" in Swedish! I don't think it's particularly old, maybe 60's judging by the remains of the sticker (round, blue metallic "made in Czechoslovakia" ) and the style of the extra crystal with the text.

Enjoy!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Crystalex lamp! Yay!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »
Wow! That is some lamp!!! I thought the top and bottom were pottery at first glance, but I suppose they're cut to clear aren't they?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline dinklepip

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »
corrrrrrrr that's a sexy lamp

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:34:27 PM »
It's actually a pink/reddish base with with white overlay, hand painted flowers and gilded rims. Each prism is hand cut so it must have been extremely labor intensive. When lit it shines pink! Extremely tacky in a way and over the top decorations but it makes me smile every time I look at it.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
I don't believe it's in any way tacky!  Maybe it doesn't suit everyone's decor or taste, but it's a piece with a lot of merit.  And it must look beautiful when it's lit up!

Congratulations...  I think you made a fabulous purchase  :)

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
Fabulous, THAT'S the word for it!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand