No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this meant for bath oil?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Is this meant for bath oil?
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:49:33 AM »
We bought this large bottle thinking the description was wrong and it was a perfume bottle but it turned out the description was correct.

7.5" (190mm) tall and weighs over a kilo 1.08 or 2lb 3oz.

It looks like Seguso but I have my doubts due to execution in a couple of areas. It doesn't seem as well made as other pieces I have.

Any ideas anyone?

regards

Ardy
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glasslover

• Members
Re: Is this meant for bath oil?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »
Hi Ardy,
I'm not sure what disqualifies this as a perfume or cologne bottle. IMHO it is exactly that. Size-wise, I have a couple even larger, complete with daubers.
The reinforcing ring around the opening does tend to make you think Seguso right away, but other makers made perfume and cologne bottles with the same feature. I have one with a partial plain paper "made in Italy" label along with a Balboa import label, and even one with a generic Murano label.
Is it the fit of the stopper that you are referring to when you mention execution? From the photo the fluted ball appears to sit right down on the ring(making full contact), versus hovering just above the ring if the grind to the stopper neck were more precise. The stopper(with dauber) on the bottle with the Balboa label fits the same way.
I have noticed that Seguso perfumes from the 50's are alot rougher and less precise when it comes to the grind on the stopper/dauber versus those from the 60's.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:20:48 AM »
Thanks Glasslover

The reason I was thinking it was for bath oil was the size and the dauber would take a lot of perfume at a time as it is about 1/2" (12mm) round at the end. I have shown another Seguso bottle that was designed for oil and that is about the same size as this one.

The execution is not what I would have thought around the stopper and it doesn't sit perfectly straight. When you look closely at the sommerso it appears puckered if that makes sense and not perfectly smooth as our other A.S. pieces are.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glasslover

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:33:17 AM »
Oh, yes, by dauber I meant the long glass rod that extends down into the bottle versus just a plug with a flat end.
I suppose that the larger bottles could very well have been intended for bath oils, although I think in truth that many if not most were actually intended to be ornamental more than anything else.
Wow, that is a VERY nice Seguso bottle. I LIKE. :o  Thanks for posting the photo.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:40:41 AM »
I'm not sure you would daub bath oil; pour maybe...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand