No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Australian Crown Crystal? - ID = Bagley  (Read 1103 times)

Offline meegs

• Members
Is This Australian Crown Crystal? - ID = Bagley
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:14:36 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I am assuming because of the colour and decoration of this Vase that it is Australian Crown Crystal, I have "googled" a few key words but are yet to find any information on this particular pattern.
Please could I have a little help with ID.
It is 11 1/2 inches long, 3 1/2 inches high and 6 inches at its widest point

Thanks must go to Pinkspoons for his Post on Photography as you can see I have attempted a light tent!)
Meegs

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Is This Australian Crown Crystal?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »
Hi,
This isn't Crown Crystal, it's actually by Bagley of Knottingley, known as the Gum Leaf planter (for obvious reasons). It's quite a sought after pattern - great find!  :mrgreen:

See here on the Wakefield Museum site: http://www.wakefieldmuseumcollections.org.uk/index.asp?page=item&filename=bagley.mdf&itemId=WAKGMP%20:%20P2001.123

Steven

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »
thank-you Steven,
Currently enjoying a good browse through Wakefield Museum's Bagley glass collection!
Cheers
Meegs

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:24:00 AM »
Meegs, just for future reference, the colour and level of detail are wrong for Crown. It is a great find, well done!

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:27:05 AM »
Thanks Cathy,

Talking of Crown Crystal I have used your website http://www.ozcrowncrystal.com to identify a bowl we use as Crown Crystals Pears and Cherries so I hope they produced that in amber or it probably isn't crown crystal either!
I also assumed that the Department store Farmers you refer to as having commissioned the 'fruits range' series is our New Zealand one which would be why I have seen a quite a few of these bowls at garage sales and the like over the years. Farmers is celebrating it's centenary this year.
Cheers
Meegs

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
I'm not entirely sure of the company history, but the Farmers I'm referring to was an Australian department store. I'd imagine there was some link, but don't know for sure. Farmers haven't existed in Australia for decades, and I think they may have been bought out by Grace Brothers. Yes, Crown certainly did make glass in amber, but it tends to be darker (although it is variable).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand