No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Intriguing Czech vase with etched-winged dagger  (Read 1937 times)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Intriguing Czech vase with etched-winged dagger
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
Vase or drinking glass? not sure, well made with good cutting, star cut fluted base and made in Czechoslovakia lead Krystal label, curious though about the etched winged dagger which is normally associated with the military, added later maybe?
Chris

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Intriguing Czech vase with etched-winged dagger
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:58:13 AM »
I wouldn't have thought the winged dagger was added later Chris, as the cutting very obviously leaves a space for the engraving to be added.
Leni

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
It is mormal Czech cut crystal vase with engraved military symbol. Glass vases with engravings were very often used as a gifts, engraving was inserted later in special shops according to order. So it could be a cup for some competition in army, or a gift to some officier, who knows. I am not expert in army symbols, I will ask collegues, perhaps we will be able to identify a troup.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
Thanks Jindrich, would it be a factory label or an export label? the symbol is associated with the military SAS, computer war games etc, so still intrigued how it found it's way into a charity shop in Harrogate Leni along with a couple of pieces of Whitefriars which I actually put back on the shelf (now that's a first)
thanks to you both Chris

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »
I found this image of a Czech Airforce Pilot's badge, which looks very similar to the engraving on your vase, Chris!
http://www.rathbonemuseum.com/Czech/CZInsignia/CZPilot1.jpg
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand