No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harrachov glassworks cased vase  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Harrachov glassworks cased vase
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »
I'm so pleased with myself  ;D

While looking through the glasrevue, I spotted this Harrachov vase which I later saw and bought from an on-line auction (for a whole 45zł... just a little over 10 euros).

It's identified in the 1958/3-4 Czech glasrevue as a Harrachov 4/3940/23cm vase.  Though the one pictured is in evening-blue, mine has a more turquoise tinge.  Does anyone know the proper name for the color?  And another question...  Was this vase designed by Milan Metelak?

Again, I'm so proud of myself for being able to finally identify something!  The only information provided in the seller's description was that it was Czech and measured 22,5cm    ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Harrachov glassworks cased vase
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:26 PM »
Anik:

Congratulations, great spot and an even better price. That's a very interesting treatment of the mouth of the vase. The base looks very like the base on a couple of Harrtil pieces I have, possibly by Metelak, but not certain.

Where did you find the Glasrevue to look through?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:45:24 PM »
Thank you, David!  I'm keeping my eyes open for a Harrtil piece now...  maybe I'll get lucky again  :D.

The Czechoslovak Glass Review is available in some libraries, as Mark Hill stated in another post.  I've checked for you, and it's available at UBC library. 

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 05:39:11 PM »
Anik

Now that's what I call service. The next time I'm in town, I'll have a look. There's actually quite a lot of Harrtil in Canada as it seems to have been quite successful here. I've got about a dozen pieces, most of them from here.

Are you from Vancouver?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
There's actually quite a lot of Harrtil in Canada as it seems to have been quite successful here. I've got about a dozen pieces...

Wow, lucky you!  I've yet to see one here...  By the way, I'm from Montreal.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 06:31:23 PM »
That's a very interesting treatment of the mouth of the vase  -  reminiscent of the Loetz and Tiffany beaked mouth openings  -  with Tiffany they were usually attached to a 'goose necked vase'.   The story being that that they were used in the harems for catching the tears of virgins  -  probably why there aren't too many around now. ;)    but congrats. Anik  -  clever girl again :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
Thank you, Paul!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
Hi Anik,
I would rather leave this issue opened. It should be Milan Metelak design (note please that Milan Metelak was son of glass engraver and director of glassmaking school in Zelezny Brod Alois Metelak and brother of glass engraver Lubos Metelak who engraved his pieces mainly for Moser).

On the end of 50ties however worked for Harrachow also Veliskova, Stahlikova and Svobodova.
The true attribution will appear sometime somewhere.

Very nice piece, can you please send me some pictures of it to my mail?

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
Thank you, Jindrich! 

So things are not as simple as I thought...  now I've got a longer list of possible designers -- very interesting (and exciting)!

By the way, would you know what color the vase is?  In Mark Hill's book, he says the evening-blue was the most popular color.  The vase I saw in Glasrevue was also described as evening blue.  But compared to Mark Hill's pictures, my vase looks like a different shade of blue.  (Evening-blue looks more like sapphire... mine seems a little lighter.) 

Thank you again!  It's a nice find, isn't it?  (I'm such a show-off...  ;D)

Anik

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:48:24 PM »
Anik,
colour is always very problematic issue. It often vary.
I am man so I recognise only 16 colours of VGA colour resolution scale, light blue, bright blue, dark blue or ocean blue makes no difference for me.
It is blue for me, my wife keeps to joke about my limited colour knowledge.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand