No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID old French antique paperweight  (Read 1584 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Help ID old French antique paperweight
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:49:15 PM »
I bought this as an old antique French paperweight , my first thought was Clichy, I am having a few second thoughts now.

Diameter 5cm, weight 172 gm , slight concaved base with lots of wear on base rim.

Thanks for any help Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Help ID old French antique paperweight
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
Hi, my first reaction when I was taking in the colors and design was Clichy, but I agree with your second thoughts, St Mandé perhaps?
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 02:49:39 PM »
Thanks Alexander

I do not really know anything much about St Mande except dor what I read on the GMB, but I did wonder it it may be

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline SimonD

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 02:43:51 PM »
There may be some similarities with the set of paperweights described in the article "Late Clichy," or What? (Paul Dunlop) that appeared in Annual Bulletin of the Paperweight Collectors Association, Inc (2005).

In particular

(1) the "Floating color" cane - the complex star with the circle of colour (transparent red) around it, that appears 4 times in the outer ring. In the above article, the ring is blue.

(2) the "Ruffle, filled valleys" cane - the cane with the opaque white stipes on transparent green, that appears in the last photo above. The common factor here is the filled valleys - in the article base colour is transleucent red.

Haven't seen these anywhere else.

I'm no expert - so please challenge!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand