No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for white handled U. 'urn'.  (Read 923 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for white handled U. 'urn'.
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:41:05 PM »
so, for anyone who can't sleep........had this for a while, and never really got to grips with an ID.   Is it:.........chrysoprase.....green opaline... or perhaps transluscent jade green? - and really quite transluscent towards the top rim which is ground and polished.   The white handles don't fluoresce.   Base is flat and very smooth, apart from the scratches and wear from use.  About 20mm/8" tall.   I had thought of Jobling, but this green is too bright I think, and it's not Davidson Jade which is darker (Jobling jade does fluoresce but Davidson does not), and there is nothing really like this shape in either of Barrie Skelcher's books, although he has a number of apple green objects.   Looking at the bulbous lower part of the urn, am I right in thinking this would be mechanically blow moulded??    Anyway, I don't know, so I'm hoping someone else might, and thanks for looking.   The black base by the way has nothing to do with the urn - I just stood it on top to get a better picture. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: id request for white handled U. 'urn'.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 06:45:09 AM »
Richardson might be a good bet for this one. Manually blow moulded seems more likely. There are quite a few of these green and white items around, but whether they are all Richardson...though it is a known Richardson combination

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,2220.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:04:30 AM »
or Nason, of course.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
my thanks to both of you, and I will look in those directions.     Is it........."green opaline", was a hasty and incorrect comment  -  since, as was pointed out by Sue in Christine's link, a prerequisite for Opaline is an internal play of 'fiery colours, and is found mostly on transluscent white and blue glass - possibly never on green.        Would be interested to know if Pamela's piece of Frankreich/Saint Louis - which although a completely different design (but white and green) - had a flat bottom?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
and is found mostly on translucent white and blue glass - possibly never on green - nope, sorry, still rubbish. :-[  Would seem that Opaline was produced in most colours at one time or another, apparently, mostly in pastel shades.   Very de rigeur after about 1823 when popularised by Baccarat, and the French were good at it.  Problem with getting an accurate attribution for Opaline (i.e. the fiery orange inner glow), is that you can't - unless the piece is yours and it can be back lit properly  - see the attached pictures.   In books, opaline fequently looks just like Alabaster or Vitrified, and often (apparently) the workers called any piece of whitish semi-opaque glass 'opal' (quoted from Cyril Manley).   There is a lot of reference in books re 'Opal' glass and Vitrified Enamelled' glass, but whether it all contains metallic oxides (to creat the 'sunset glow') may be doubtful.
None of which has much to do with this green 'urn' however :), it certainly isn't genuine opaline - and unless someone has a better idea, I have chosen Barrie Skelcher's colour description of 'translucent jade green'.   This piece is much more transluscent than the pictures show.
Did Christine have Cyril Manley's book in mind when suggesting Richardson??   He shows a couple of pieces of C19 'Vitrified Enamel Coloured' glass (green) plus similar with white strap handles (but no attribution for that) - mine could be C19, although it doesn't have any gilding around the edges like so much of the genuine C19 'Chrysoprase' pieces, so this point may indicate it is C20, but I really don't know.
Manually blow moulded seems more likely - do you mean manually blowing down the pontil rod?
I will now follow up Ivo's reference to Nason - where do I start ;D
References:    'Decorative Victorian Glass'  -  Cyril Manley.
                    'An Illustratged Dictionary of Glass'  -  Harold Newman
                    'The Illustrated Guide to Glass'  -  Felice Mehlman  (very good inexpensive book).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:22:49 PM »
in view of Nigel's recent id that a pale blue bowl of mine was from the S. & W. 'Alabaster' range, see here    http://www.glassmessages.com/index.ph/topic,42333.msg235185.html#msg235185  - I have looked again at this uranium 'urn' - which also seems to satisfy most of the requirements to qualify for a piece of S&W 'Alabaster'.     The watery white handles seem about the right colour (finials and handles in particular, in this colour were a common feature of 'Alabaster' items)  -  with body colours of rose and jade green being the two 'exceptional colours' (quoted in the book).    Additionally, there was a blue colour used, apparently, together with rose, for pieces destined more for the bathroom.       This jade green was the most popular 'Alabaster' colour in the '20's and '30's, and was created usuing uranium oxide in the batch.     Despite the fact that I got most other comments wrong, I did at least (more luck than judgment) choose the right colour description of 'jade green'.
Anyway, do people agree with my revised thoughts on this 'urn', or am I wrong??         Please let me know your thoughts. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »
I wouldn't like to say. S&W alabaster always seems more translucent than this, but  I don't know whether that's a thickness issue.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »
the rather opaque look is probably the fault of my camera work  -  if you hold it up to the light it really is reasonably translucent - although agree the foot is more opaque.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »
I'm not disputing it's transparency, just wondering whether it was translucent enough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »
oh, but it's not at all transparent Christine  -  that's me. ;)      Was hoping, however, that Nigel might care to comment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand