No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Geometric vase = ZBS  (Read 6590 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Geometric vase = ZBS
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:36:59 AM »
I bought this beauty yesterday, and I've seen attributions on internet to Moser, a design by A. Matura, 50s or 60s. I'm in the proces of buying a Moser book, but I'm hoping someone who already has such a book, or more knowledge might be able to confirm this one.

It's approx. 26 cm high, 2.5 bij 2.5 cm at the rim, 4.2 cm bij 4.2 cm at the base, and the colour is a nice, light yellow (does that have a specific name?)

Got it for a very nice price, too. Gotta love people who redesign their home every few years and quickly want to flog old colours and designs. I almost didn't buy it because I thought it was 30s art deco...

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
Re: Geometric vase, Moser, Matura, 60s?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:42:49 PM »
I would not attribute this piece to Matura, the best answer within few days you always can get from Moser support:

Can I have my formerly purchased item identified by Moser?
Please send us a product photo and a shot of the company’s logo on the bottom of the product at customerservice@moser-glass.com, fax them at +420 353 449 619 or mail them at the address MOSER, a.s., Kpt. Jaroše 46/19, 360 06 Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic.

I have very good experiences with Moser customer support.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskloslovenskesklo

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:38:03 PM »
Thanks, I'll try it. The piece doesn't have a label, but I've seen at least three different attributions to Moser, so I'm hoping they'll recognize it and help me out regardless.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:13:33 PM »
It's not in the Moser book, but the selection illustrated is not comprehensive

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
Ha, I got my answer already from the Moser identification department. They say it's not Moser. The style is not typical for them, and it would have been marked at the base if it was. And they told me they think it's Zelezny Brod.

I can very well see that the colour is typical for Zelezny Brod, but the design is not one I would have placed there (probably because Klinger is the main designer and the pieces I've seen from him are usually very flowing and organic, not geometrical).

Does anyone know other designers that worked for ZBS whose style is more in line with this piece? Or has anyone seen Klinger designs that are more angular?

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 02:34:36 PM »
That is what I have expected. :-)
No, it is not Klinger, possibly Antonin Drobnik, has to be checked and confirmed.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Thanks again for sharing your wisdom, Jindrich. It will take me a long while to catch up (if ever) to your level of knowledge on Czech glass (but I'll try anyway).

If you have a source you could ask, I would be grateful. While there is an abundance of ZBS Klinger designs online and in books, I don't find much about other ZBS artists so far. You mentioned a number of names a while back, but if I do find anything about them, it's usually one-off sculptural works that have sold at auctions or museum pieces, nothing about the more accessible pieces.

I'm still missing more detailed good resource books or CDs on hot-worked and engraved czech glass...

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:06:47 PM »
I have also very limited information about ZBS and ZBS designers.
ZBS factory closely co-operated with glassmaking school in Zelezny Brod teachers, we can remmember the names Miloslav Klinger, Jan Cerny, Antonin Drobnik, Bretislav Novak, Miloslav and Vaclav Platek, Jindrich Tockstein, Miloslav Jank; and many others.

You will not find any reasonable information about them at web, it is wok that still has to be done.

Very rough information about ZBS productioon and ZBS authors you can find at my web site
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/MuseumZeleznyBrod2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCP32qaus7sLMqAE#

where are some very poor pictures from museum in Zelezny Brod. I tried to make photes of shord descriptions of each author - there are in Czech and English so with a little patiency you can find more about some persons.

But to supply to you the fast and easy answer - who/where/when  - will still need al lot of work.
Thanks to Marcus Newhall we have a brief evidence about Sklo Union production, with help of bOBA we are now more familiar with Skrdlovice, ZBS should be the nest.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cy/ceskloslovenskesklo

Offline aurora

• Members
    • rare czech glass
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 08:43:11 AM »
Hi,

I have one of these in green in my collection and it has a ZBS label on it. Its a 70s style label if I recall correctly.

Thanks,

Richard

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »
Great Aurora, thanks for the ZBS confirmation on this piece. I hope we will eventually find out more about who designed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand