No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Moulded & Enamelled Lidded Trinket Box with Bird Finial = J Umann of Potočná  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Another recent acquisition which has me puzzled. The piece looks very French, 1920s-30s but I haven't been able to find the pattern anywhere.

It's a very nice quality item. There's an intaglio moulded pattern infilled with blue enamel. The finial is in the form of a tropical bird , decorated with sprayed on enamels in various colours. The base & rim have been very finely polished. There are no marks that I can see anywhere on the piece.

I think the bird once had a crest or similar on its head which has since broken off as there's a rough, unenamelled strip just on the top of its head.

Diameter is approx. 9 cm

Thanks,
Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Hi Steven, there's a perfume bottle shown in Schránky Vůní­, The World of Toilet Glass (by Jitka Lněničková and Petr Nový) which has these blue curls and birds on it, and the attribution is to J Umann of Potočná. I'll drop you an email about it later today. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
can you cc me?

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Great Piece!!

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
There are  many more where these came from, and no one has so far managed to identify any of these powder boxes. So interested to find out who, when (1930s) and where.... France. Czechoslovakia, Germany and Belgium seem top candidates....

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Thanks Anne!  :thup:

It's great to get an attribution, I thought this would have to remain an unkown. Also I've done a little googling & found a PK article about the Jitka Lněničková and Petr Nový book here: http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2000-6w-lnenickova-duftbehaelter.pdf

btw, if the photos are any use for your trinket set site, feel free to use them - I can e-mail you the hi-res versions if you want?

Thanks again
All the best,

Steven

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Wow Ivo and Steven, those are really beautiful  :mrgreen:  I love boxes, there's something about them.
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Ivo, have done. :)

Steven, yes please, I'll lift them from here as they'll be big enough for the site - thank you! The book says "J Umann in Potočná before 1945... from the artistic point of view their designs were mostly inspired by the patterns of Baccarat before 1914" that's probably why France dings a bell with Ivo too. The book is fascinating - my son brought me a copy back last summer when he was over in Jablonec doing work experience with a Czech IT firm there.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand