No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Codd bottle - J.H.Furguson Plymouth / Cannington Shaw  (Read 4692 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Codd bottle - J.H.Furguson Plymouth / Cannington Shaw
« on: June 20, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
Not the usual sort of thing I buy, but it looked intriguing and as I didn't know anything about these, it has been interesting so far finding out.  I think it is a "valve codd" (according to Miller's Bottles & Pot Lids - A Collector's Guide p.35).  I've managed to take a pic. of the inside showing its round marble and rubber washer which seems fixed to the base.  Its marked J.H.FERGUSON 38 KINGS GARDENS PLYMOUTH / REGISTERED TRADEMARK / CANNINGTON SHAW 7 CO. MAKERS ST. HELENS, and has A4 on the base.

This excellent link http://www.plymouthdata.info/Business%20Houses-Furguson%20JH.htmshow states that J.H. Ferguson moved his mineral water business to Kings Gardens in 1889 following expansion.  Cannington Shaw bottle makers operated from 1872-1916 (Glass fact file a-z. Ivo Haanstra), so the bottle must date some time from 1889 to 1916.

The patchy iridescence puzzled me, but it would seem that this is the result of it being buried, where it has been affected by the minerals in the ground, so at some point it has been dug up.  I'm leaving it as it is - uncleaned.
Anne E.B

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Codd bottle - J.H.Furguson Plymouth / Cannington Shaw
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
Obviously buried in a rubbish tip or worse (...), hence the iridescence.

These are still being made in Japan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOM1W4wIB4A&feature=related

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand