No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Textured Vase In Flint/Clear?  (Read 5465 times)

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Textured Vase In Flint/Clear?
« on: June 20, 2010, 04:06:35 PM »
Hello all.  I just found this vase today.  It measures 7.5" inches tall and 2.25" inches square.  Is it Whitefriars?

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Whitefriars Nailhead Vase In Flint/Clear?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:01:59 PM »
I don't think it is, the Whitefriars version has two clear sides and two textured: http://whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=304

It's not Dartington either, the texture is not fine enough. Davidson is one possibility....

John

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:53 PM »
LOL!  Oh wow.  When I did a Google search for the nailhead vases, I didn't even notice that two sides were smooth.  I guess I just saw the pattern reflecting from the textures side.  Oh well.  It was only $.50 cents.  I have yet to come across any Whitefriars glass here in the States.  And the search continues....  :thup:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:31:07 PM »
A 'close up' photo of the texture might be useful.

John

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
Did you enlarge the photos?  I'm not really sure how much more of a close up I can get without it looking flattened and obscure.

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
Re: Textured Vase In Flint/Clear?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 02:50:09 AM »
I believe this is an Iittala Linearia vase #2783 designed by Timo Sarpaneva.  Thank you to all who replied.  :hi:

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »
You can view a listing of this vase on Ebay with it's original box:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/250910243028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
Can this be moved to the Scandinavian section?

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 04:50:02 AM »
Here's a Bloomingdales ad in New York Magazine from 1977, with pictures of Linearia, Stellaria and Riite.

http://books.google.fi/books?id=ReQCAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA4&ots=CiFzWF7ZO8&dq=iittala%20linearia&pg=PA4#v=onepage&q=iittala%20linearia&f=false

Offline dorian_graye

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »
Thanks PX for the added documentation.  I will assume that this thread will be moved eventually.  The mods pay attention, but are very slow.  Well, slow when it comes to moving threads, but no so slow when someone's photos are being "pilfered" without permission  :thup:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand