No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jazzy Salad bowl(?) with silver-plate rim  (Read 4607 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Jazzy Salad bowl(?) with silver-plate rim
« on: June 21, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
One from the car-boot Sunday - Any ideas on age & maker? Goggle has given me no answers

It's 120mm tall 230mm wide.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4719968813_fbb3dce721_b.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline yesvil

• Members
Re: Jazzy Salad bowl(?) with silver-plate rim
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:31:27 AM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »
Assume the 'Deco' style pattern has been cut, and the star cut base is universal.   Probably somewhere between 1925 - 1945, and probably a fruit bowl of some description - but highly unlikely you will ever discover a maker.   Guess the metal is EPNS, although you don't mention this.   Very curious to know what it was that you 'goggled' to get no answers. ;D

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:04:51 PM »
Assume the 'Deco' style pattern has been cut, and the star cut base is universal.   Probably somewhere between 1925 - 1945, and probably a fruit bowl of some description - but highly unlikely you will ever discover a maker.   Guess the metal is EPNS, although you don't mention this.   Very curious to know what it was that you 'goggled' to get no answers. ;D

Yes EPNS - I searched using Goggle images and I got no answers on the basis of finding no matching pictures.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 02:29:53 AM »
Hi there:
Is that some gold edging around the outside, or just a reflection? 

Kinda looks (?? just a guess here??) like this one (a little bit) except this one has designs around the outside too, but the burst in the bottom looks the same (to me) as yours.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/578355-4090656/1930s-English-Cut-Glass-Bowl

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 07:01:36 AM »
thanks Rose  -  bowls such as this were very popular at that time, when 'cut glass' was very much in fashion, and a little bit of EPNS gave the impression of silver to 'gild the lily'.    However, been out of fashion for eons now  -  you see them in most charity shops - so guess they were made in their millions, literally.    Unless they are marked
'Stuart', 'Edinburgh Crystal', 'Webb's' or some such, then they are probaly of no commercial value (you could of course mix 'Polyfilla' in them) ;D

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:35:01 AM »
then they are probably of no commercial value

That's rather a sweeping generalisation! Not all big-name stuff is marked. Retailers often requested that it wasn't. This is not a bog-standard pattern, so probably more interesting than many bowls of this type.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 10:28:25 AM »
You are, of course, quite correct - I'm too prone to generalizations ;D  -  I was perhaps drawing attention more to the possibility that if a piece was marked with one of the 'big' names then that might confer a potential commercial value  - whereas without a name it would just be one of the untold millions, which we tend to pass over.    However, desireability is often in the eye of the beholder, whether marked or not. :)

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Hi there:
Is that some gold edging around the outside, or just a reflection? 

Kinda looks (?? just a guess here??) like this one (a little bit) except this one has designs around the outside too, but the burst in the bottom looks the same (to me) as yours.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/578355-4090656/1930s-English-Cut-Glass-Bowl

Hi, No there is no Gold anywhere - that bowl does have some similarities.

As discussed on this thread  I have seen a lot of these types of bowls on my travels but I did think this one was just a little bit different with a bit of modern appeal to it, but I'm a novice and just-a-learning so please feel free to tell me it's a no no ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
as an indication of how common this type of bowl can be, this was found at random in the first charity shop I went into at lunchtime today, and I did get their permission to take the picture.   Again, an EPNS band round the top, and the decoration is cut  -  as usual, no makers name.    Priced at Sterling £9.50, which whilst good value if you were contemplating buying new, is probably too rich for a charity shop - but who knows......... :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand