No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a Dartington marriage  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is this a Dartington marriage
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »
there are, of course, several FT designs which were used to hold candles - including the FT88.   When I saw these two pieces together (apart from the fact that they do in fact work quite well in combination) - I assume someone had chosen them because they worked and looked quite good together - although they didn't actually have anything to do with each other.  Then I realized that the colour of the hood appears to be very similar to Dartington 'Flame'  -  so does anyone know if they might actually be a pair rather than a marriage??   Thanks for looking.   Paul S.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: is this a Dartington marriage
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
Doesn't look like it belongs... see the catalogues here:
http://www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/dart/c67.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:50:07 PM »
thanks Anne  -  and I do in fact have Eve Thrower and Mark Hill's book  -  although couldn't see it anywhere there.  Just wondered if it might have been some very rare combination that I had stumble on, especially in view of the flame red hood ;D  Oh well, I guess not then.
cheers         Paul S.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:48:29 AM »
Dartington vase/candleholder with a modern oil lamp shade made for electricity.

Nigel

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:31:58 AM »
I suspect the shade may be from a Riihimäki Apollo candleholder. They where definitely made in this colour.
See: http://www.designlasi.com/content/apollo-1960-still-nanny

robbo
robbo

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
thanks to both of you  -  and in fact I'm rather pleased that this 'flame coloured hood is very possibly a Nanny Still design.   As with much glass, individual pieces can sometimes be in production for a few years, and it's quite possible that my base and the hood overlapped - date wise - in production.      Looking at Anne's link to the FT designs  -  the FT88 was probably about 1967  -  and maybe the Riihimaki piece was still going strong, from 1960?    All I need now is the clear base part to complete the Nanny Still lamp.   Any offers. ;D

Offline robert1960

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »
Funnily enough, I did have one. once !

- it belonged to an Apollo (in the stepped design) a seller decided to post from the US wrapped in 2 sheets of newspaper  ::)

I still don't have the stepped Apollo, but did find an odd red shade to marry it up to sell on ( I collect the green mostly)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand