No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Bagley Equinox Bowl  (Read 5244 times)

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Huge Bagley Equinox Bowl
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:52:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
Can someone please enlighten me?  Today I found a Bagley Equinox bowl in blue satin in my local charity shop - only problem is  ... it is huge at 13 inches in diameter and about 5 inches high and unfortunately has a huge slither out of the base. :huh:

In Angela's book I only find the 5 inch and 7 inch - is this a fake? a copy?

The lady at the charity shop kindly let me take photo's and measurements so I could show it here. Apologies for the fact it is also filthy.
Many thanks
Hil  :)

Offline glassaddict

• Members
Re: Huge Bagley Equinox Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
sorry - Angela's book quotes a 4 and 5 inch bowl (not 5 and 7 inch as I said in my original post)  :pb:

I also note that she says there was a very large bowl made which was used as a lamp. I am guessing that one would have been turned in (not out as this one is).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »
I think it's an original. If they made a big one for a lamp, they would have made big ones for flowers I think.

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply Christine, I am fairly confident that it is original. Pity it is in such a poor state or I would have bought it just for the novelty of owning such a big one!.  I have never seen this size before nor (apart from the reference made in Angela's book) seen this size documented anywhere.

Hil  :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »
Dirt is removable with one of the scouring type powders, as it doesn't affect frosted glass.

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
It isn't just the dirt Christine - there is the large slither out of the foot, the wobbly stance, the lack of flower block and plinth ... hey ho!
Unless it is majorly rare I can't justify adding a poorly piece to the already way to many unused perfect pieces  :-[

Hil :)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:08 AM »
Hil — My 2004 edition of Bowey & Parsons shows on page 77 the trade catalogue illustration for an Andromeda centrepiece set comprising large Equinox bowl, square plinth, block, and Andromeda figurine.   I've had several of these sets through my hands.

At a recent glass fair I had all three Andromeda centrepiece sets on offer.   One was the Equinox set, the second was the Queen's Choice set, and the third the bloom ring set in Crystopal.   It was pleasing to be able to show all three together and complete, and at least two people noticed and made favourable comments!

I've never seen the large Equinox bowl on its own, and I suspect that few, if any, were sold this way.   Lonely bowls are likely to have emerged more recently from the activities of those who collect centrepiece figurines on their own.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 06:32:51 AM »
Page 80 in mine. It doesn't say what size Equinox bowl though and I can't see what there is well enough to say Andromeda is in a block. My designed to be blockless Andromeda would fit in a smaller Equinox

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:27 AM »
...   It doesn't say what size Equinox bowl   ...

Christine — Count the ribs and you will see that it can only be the largest size of Equinox.

Also on the same page in my copy there is the 1953 catalogue illustration for the Andromeda bloom ring.   It is nonsense as it shows Andromeda in a flower block in the centre of the bloom ring.   I suspect a cut and paste job from an earlier illustration.   The Andromeda bloom ring sets I've seen have always had a free-standing Andromeda.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 07:08:31 AM »
Thanks Bernard,
Would you clarify something for me please. You say that it has to be large because of the number of ribs. I counted the ribs on the large one and found 8, I have counted the ribs on the small one and also found 8. Can I ask a numpty question and ask you to explain 'ribs' please?

Many thanks
Hil :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand