No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Huge Bagley Equinox Bowl  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Huge Bagley Equinox Bowl
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »
I think the large one has 11 or 12, counting from here. He literally means ribs, raised lines. Think of the turned-in vases where they are more obviously ribs.

Offline glassaddict

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
Thanks Christine,
I will go back to the charity shop and re- count them :)

Hil :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:07:06 PM »
The CD version of the Bagley book shows the same catalogue image, but Angela's text above it states: "The catalogue picture ...  shows the Bagley 'Equinox' flower bowl with the Bagley 'Andromeda' figurine set into a flower block. " whilst below that catalogue image it states on the catalogue page itself, "FLOWER SET. No. 3061/T L/S 4-PIECE" - does that help at all?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline quill

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 12:02:54 AM »
...does that help at all?

Er...doesn't help me, Anne, I am rapidly losing the thread, so to speak. 

I thought Bernard was saying that the illustration on p. 80 of Bowery, Parsons was faux, because only the freestanding Andromeda would be used with the bloom ring.

Really makes me miserable, too - I am still learning and must count on interpretations in print.  Heavy sigh. :cry:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 06:44:09 AM »
He is. You wouldn't have the Andromeda in a block in the ring because you couldn't use the holes in the block and it would look silly. It's not so much faux, as catalogue compilers' ignorance and lack of proofing or "Oh dear, nobody will notice." Pre-digital, making changes was so much more time consuming and expensive.

Offline jeanne

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »
Hello all
Read all this with interest as we have been donated a bowl in pale clear green glass that I thought was the Equinox bowl shown on page 100 of Andy McConnell's book. Our bowl is 12" across the outer 'frill' and has 12 of the curved ribs. My query is what is the difference between 'a flower block' and a 'bloom ring'? This bowl has the round clear glass domed insert with holes for the flower stems that my Mum called a 'flower frog'.
Any help gratefully received. The Hospice does very well with glass in general, both in the shops and on ebay. Many of the people who donate or leave items to us are of an age to have been buying first half 20th century new.
Regards
Jeanne

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
A flower block and a flower frog are generally the same thing: things with holes in. A bloom ring is a polo shaped trough for very short stem flowers. See here

Offline jeanne

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
Thankyou very much

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand