No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id confirmation for possible Mdina jug  (Read 5270 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: id confirmation for possible Mdina jug
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 09:50:17 PM »
Sorry all, thought you had it spot on Christine.

The colourway is classic Mdina, they still use a variation of it today. I believe it was originally a creation of Michael Harris though the addition of a 'celery' style handle to this item is unique in my (limited) experience. I also thought Whitefriars and Boffo and assumed it would have been sold in Valletta - where the Boffos sold there 'out of hours' items.

I assume it would turn a few heads on the Whitefriars forum....

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
 Well it certainly turned my head John
Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 06:03:57 AM »
I'm only a Mdina trainee John!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »
quote early today from Lustrousstone....I'm only a Mdina trainee John!!.......Christine, I have the feeing you are rarely a trainee in anything to do with glass.    But thanks to all for their help, and being a 'collector' the rarer a piece is the more I drool ;D   Stupidly, I have in the past - before I included these Maltese items in my 'oeuvre'  - given away one or two pieces as being unimportant   urghhhh....how wrong can you be (gnashing of teeth heard somewhere south of London)   I had this beautiful 'purple/brown'/yellow swirled decanter thingy....mouthwatering... :cry:    I seem to come across blue pieces not uncommonly, but can't now find the purple/brown ones.      If anyone would like more/better pics. of this jug, let me know, and thanks again :)

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »
Just to add my tuppence worth, i saw one of these sell at a local auction house (about 18 months back, glass goes very cheap in there). It was not identical but very very similar with the celery handle, slightly more pitcher jug shaped and the handle was a bit thicker, but colours the same, and in my opinion it was definatly Mdina, again it was not signed
 I stopped bidding at £75  :cry: and it went for £110, loved it, but it was not to be that day
michelle

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
Michelle - how can you be so vulgar and discuss money - this is about the artistic value and merits of a beautiful piece of glass. ;D -  but seriously, I always value your input and enjoy reading your heartfelt posts - and my thanks for your 'twopennyworth which is very much appreciated.     In view of the comments from the experts, I had come to the conclusion that it probably is worth a little more than usual, and although I never sell, it is good to know that my intuition paid off.  thanks again.   Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand