No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iridescent Pineapple vases  (Read 3405 times)

Offline yesvil

• Members
Iridescent Pineapple vases
« on: June 24, 2010, 04:29:21 PM »
These stand about 200mm tall. No great work of art but I love them! Any idea of the origins?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4713488627_31a4a5f3ed_b.jpg

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Iridescent Pineapple vases
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
Most likely made by the Canning Town Glass Company.
http://www.thistlewoods.net/England.html

These vases are usually called "Royal Pineapple".

Hope this helps.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
Most likely made by the Canning Town Glass Company.
http://www.thistlewoods.net/England.html

These vases are usually called "Royal Pineapple".

Hope this helps.

Glen

Thank you Glen most helpful indeed.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 07:41:42 PM »
No, that's not the Canning Town one Glen. This one has kind of scales, not pointy bits. I'm trying to think where I've seen it...

Offline yesvil

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 07:43:41 PM »
No, that's not the Canning Town one Glen. This one has kind of scales, not pointy bits. I'm trying to think where I've seen it...

I've found this since: http://www.ddoty.com/royalpineapple.html

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »
Me too. It's not impossible that they're both Canning Town of course.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 08:16:08 AM »
Christine, Glen wasn't suggesting that the piece in her link was Royal Pineapple. The link Glen provided was to the entry for Canning Town on her website, and the piece illustrated is a Canning Town Thistle vase, complete with mould so I'd imagine there's no ambiguity surrounding its origins.

Of the Royal Pineapple, she wrote: "Most likely made by the Canning Town Glass Company."

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 09:11:27 AM »
I was confuddled (as usual) by brevity. Sorry  :-[

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 09:21:26 AM »
Being confuddled is usually my job.  :kissy:

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 09:42:46 AM »
My response was that the vases which yesvil has posted are “most likely made by Canning Town Glass Company”. I specifically chose the words “most likely” in order to infer that it wasn’t positive, but that it was pretty much “likely”. I’ll explain why I feel that in a moment; I’ll deal with the other point next.

I wrote that the vases shown by yesvil “are usually called ‘Royal Pineapple’ “.  Cathy understood me perfectly (thank you, Cathy). The name that Carnival Glass collectors give to the vases that yesvil has is “Royal Pineapple”.

I do understand the difference between the “pointy bits” and the “scales”. I have actually been researching and writing about these items over several decades. I provided the link to my page on the Canning Town piece with the “Thistle” vase so you could see the factory that I feel most likely made the “Royal Pineapple” vases.

The mould for the “Thistle” vase is at Broadfield House Museum. It was presented to the museum back in the 1970s by Bob Clements, a Carnival Glass Society (CGS UK) member, who had worked at Canning Town Glass Company. Last year (2009) I asked Roger Dodsworth if he would be able to put the mould on display for the CGS UK’s annual convention. He kindly did exactly that, and we were able to examine the mould closely and put our marigold “Thistle” vase alongside the mould for photos (shown in the link I gave you). In our lecture and display that followed (at the CGS annual convention last year), Steve (my husband) and I showed both “Royal Pineapple” and “Thistle” vases in smoke and marigold. Back in the 1980s we discovered the first known “Thistle” vase in smoke. Since then, a collector friend of ours discovered a “Royal Pineapple” vase in smoke too. The vases are very similar in form and appearance and the smoke iridescence is identical. In my considered opinion the “Royal Pineapple” and the “Thistle” pieces were most likely (i.e. probably) produced by the same maker. My opinion is based on circumstantial evidence, observation and many years of research and experience, hence my statement “most likely made by the Canning Town Glass Company”.

In the section on the Canning Town Glass Works in our book “Carnival Glass, The Magic & The Mystery 2” (page 184) I wrote the following: “It’s possible that a similar shaped vase known as Royal Pineapple (also known in marigold and scarce smoky grey-blue) was made by this company”.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand