No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flygsfors ??????  (Read 4115 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« on: December 03, 2005, 03:20:02 PM »
Bought these 2 today and since I know little about Scandi glass could do with some help on the left hand piece. The green bowl is easy it's signed and is a Flygsfors Coquille dated 1956, I suspect the right hand purple on may be similar, it stands 13" high but has no markings at all, so any help?

http://tinypic.com/i4jv9y.jpg

Paul

Mod: The images from this thread have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:05:31 PM »
Hi Chuggy
That is by far the nicest piece of Flygsfors Coquille I have ever seen (I don't like most of them !)

The white rim banding on it (which your second piece lacks) is a "trademark" of this series designed by Paul Kedelv.

However the amethyst piece looks good quality and very good color and Paul Kedelv also did work for Reijmyre, so maybe that is a possibility for this piece, although there have been several other makers for this style. The Flygsfors are just the most easily recognisable (apart from often being signed).

For some further reading see this topic now in the archive:
ARCHIVE? Signature K-11 R-e.56 and R-e -57, K 16
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,974.0.html

You will note that, at least some, of his Reijmyre designs are also signed.
Pete

Offline chuggy

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 04:10:52 PM »
Thanks Peter
I couldn't believe it today we did a table top as my wife does silver jewellery and I bought 6 good bits of glass, an 18th c Chinese plate and a couple of bits of silver. Antique fairs, who needs em.
Paul

Offline chuggy

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 06:01:04 PM »
No joy with an ID on the purple piece, so still open to suggestions.
Paul

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 06:09:54 PM »
Patience !
It could take years !  :evil:
Anyway, Ivo hasn't spoken yet ......I think he's away.
I made my suggestion ...nothing else immediately springs to mind but I will warn you that many companies did this style of glass : Beyel, Chalet, Holmegaard .......and many others.
Pete

Offline chuggy

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »
All part of my broadening education I fear Peter.
Paul

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 07:19:22 PM »
You have the same windows as me Chuggy! (irrelevant I know..lol)

I'm fairly sure I've seen that dark piece attributed to Flygfors somewhere recently.  I remember thinking it didn't look like Flygfors, but mentally accepting it might be.  I don't think it was Ebay, so I'm thinking it must have been on someone's site somewhere.  However, I don't remember the 'tail' being quite that long.  :?:
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 01:30:38 AM »
Like Peter I love the Kedelv designed Coquille range - thanks Peter for reminding me that Kedelv also worked for Reijmyre, you don't see that stuff so often.

Yeah the white banding and that green are so Flygsfors; the Coquille range goes from huge octopus objects, to shell shaped bowls and lovely simple objects like this.

I am told they were rigorous with signing, and few pieces are seen without markings, also the second piece (I love the shape) isn't in range as Peter says and does not have the white banding.

What about this piece of mine (hope OK to ask in this thread)

http://hometown.aol.com/Sterlingbooks03/Flygforspink.jpg

Bottle shape in a vibrant pink with pinched rim and Flygsfors 1957 etched to base. No white rim so did Kedelv design this, I don't think it's Coquille?

I know him for Coquille and it has been suggested this bottle vase is not by Kedelv, but he did other ranges like ‘Flamingo’, that is full of threading so this is not that then – mmmm – so any Flygsfors experts out there know of other ranges by Kedelv

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 09:04:06 AM »
What an unusual shaped and colour Adam.  Does it react under UV?  It has a kind of rare earth feel to it?

I've seen a definite piece of Coquille unsigned before, it was a second though, so that's the reason I think.

Paul, I'm sorry I haven't been able to find the photo I was thinking of, I'll keep a permanent look out for it.
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
Flygsfors ??????
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:19:27 AM »
Hi Max

I have not tried it under UV light; to be honest need to buy one of the kits.

It would indeed be interesting if it were reactive

I believe that when I do buy a UV kit and turn off the lights my rooms will glow greener than a Glasgow Celtic strip LOL

Adam P

P.S. sorry for not getting straight back, I was on a business trip in Milan for a week - Cold and head churning. I did get to Venini and spent a naughty amount of money  :oops:

Oh they gave me a CD catalogue 2004/2005 as I may be starting an agency with their contract lighting - It is OK to use the images and information as I wish, I asked the managment as it were. It is nothing special, I think many people on GMB will have it .. just in case someone has not and wants to see a piece, just ask.
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand