No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: trade mark on possible States 'Krys-Tol' plate  (Read 6590 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
trade mark on possible States 'Krys-Tol' plate
« on: June 28, 2010, 08:01:13 PM »
Out of interest really - and the full embossed stamping in the centre of the plate reads: PATENTED FEB 5.  1907 (in circle) -in the centre of which appears to be.....KR   KRYS-TOL.       So I'm assuming this was a States manufactured piece.   Does anyone know how for how long this particular logo might have been used?   Plate diameter is about 7.5 inches, and pictures taken through a single magnifying lens (one might be clearer than the other)    Any thoughts anyone? :)    cheers    Paul S.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: trade mark on possible States 'Krys-Tol' plate
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:19 AM »
wouldn't go amiss to show what the whole plate looked like......

Offline Tony H

• Members
    • http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/index.php?cat=10002
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 07:09:02 AM »
Hi Paul S
Take a look at this web site http://krys-tolkabinet.com/ this is glass from USA but one pattern became one of Britains most popular glass with over 250 shapes I have some photos in my Gallery and so has Anne

Tony H

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »
thanks for the links Tony, and appreciate your reply.     I'd give an arm and a leg for those cobalt or uranium pieces - real stunner's :mrgreen:   I did start to collect Krys-Tol pieces some year or so back, and seemed to find them not uncommon at b.s. and charity shops, although in the fullness of time when space was at a real premium and something had to go - it was the Krys-Tol that all went back to the Charity shops.     However, I had not, to the best of my knowedge, found one of these 'Colonial' plates showing the logo wording which I have posted here - so have kept this piece thinking it unusual and, possibly, quite early.   Some of the designs are seen more frequently, of course.    This plate may inspire me to restart collecting these pieces - but God knows where I will put them this time around ;D   By the way, why the appelation 'nappy' - how do the our friends arrive at that one - do they lay diapers on them ;D   Thanks again.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:31:12 PM »
KRYS-TOL was first used by Ohio Flint Glass Co., Dunkirk, Indiana (had nothing to do with actual 'flint' glass, however - just a name of the company).  this was in the late 1890s.  in 1900, Ohio Flint merged with National Glass Company, making a huge combine of manufacturers.  In 1907, Jefferson Glass Co., Follansbee, West Virginia, bought all rights, patents, and molds from National Glass.  KRYS-TOL was a process, used in various lines, the most popular being CHIPPENDALE.  By Oct. 1908, Jefferson Glass was making CHIPPENDALE in 100 different shapes, gearing up to 150 in the near future.  On Dec. 26, 1918, all rights, patents and molds for KRYS-TOL 'CHIPPENDALE' were sold to Central Glass Co.  the number of molds totaled a little over 400 by that time.  Central expanded their market share to distributors in Denmark, Germany, Norway, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Holland, Sweden and even to India and China.  In 1929, the patents were sold to Charles J. Pratt of London, England. 

Pratt had Geo. Davidson & Co. make the CHIPPENDALE line.  Eventually, Davidson bought the molds from Pratt.  It is believed, however, that this Chippendale was never marked with the Krys-Tol Mark. 

Your piece was most likely either made by Jefferson or Central Glass.

the best book (by far) is KRYS-TOL! CRYS-TOL! KRYS-TOL! by Joan Chapman Loomis, self published in 2001. ISBN number is 0-9712272-0-9.  I do not know if it is still available, other than the used market.  I don't have contact info for Loomis.  When I got my copy, she was living in Florida. The back of the book lists this address: JEAN CHAPMAN LOOMIS, P.O. BOX 111, TAVARES, FL 32778. 

Dave Peterson
mrvaselineglass

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:49:35 PM »
Hello

The use of the Krys-Tol trademark started with the Ohio Flint Glass Company around 1905 based on advertisements (working from memory here so might be off by a year or so either way).  The relationship between National Glass Co. and its member companies was a bit odd and I don't know exactly what was going on between National and Ohio Flint at the time - perhaps they leased the factory from National. A colonial design was patented on February 5, 1907 by a gentleman last name of Jacobs who was the manager of the factory.  Your plate is part of that line.  Sometime in 1907, Ohio Flint went into bankruptcy and Jacobs moved over to manage the Jefferson Glass factory in Steubenville, OH / Follansbee WV (they moved across the river at some point between 1903 and 1913).  Jefferson apparently acquired the moulds, trademark and patents either from Jacobs or the bankruptcy receivers.  After a year or so, Jacobs and Jefferson parted ways with the company but Jefferson continued Krys-Tol production until 1918.

Lots of words, with no definite answer to the timing of the patent mark other than it was after February 5, 1907.

According to on line dictionaries, a nappy is a shallow flat bottomed dish.  Apparently this is a North American term that has its origins in Middle English. 

I got my copy of the Loomis book from the WV Museum of American Glass who still had copies when I was there in March.  They are ebay sellers so you can search there.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 02:35:41 AM »
Hello

Here is a link to WVMAG ebay store.  They have the Loomis Krys-Tol book listed at a very reasonable cost:

http://stores.ebay.com/WV-Museum-of-American-Glass

Moderators:  I think this is okay in that it is related to the discussion but I am not offended if you remove it or add it to my posting above

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »
very many thanks to both of you :).   Haven't seen so much information packed into such a small space for a long time, and a very interesting read.   The Loomis book is a worth while buy at that price (I've had a look at the WV-MOAG site - you guys get better catered for on the glass front than we do) - especially with Sterling being a bit stronger at the moment.   Don't think I will have room to collect that many patterns, but as with a lot of types of glass, a small selection is useful.
Intriguing as to quite why the word 'nappy' was appropriated by the N. American group - probably something that arrived with the European migrants in the C17 or C18 maybe.   thanks again.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:03 AM »
Sid  -  thanks again for your link to WV Museum of American Glass  -  and I have now spoken to Sharon Pickens and arranged to purchase their very last copy of the 'Krys-Tol' publication  -  so your comment was very timely.  cheers   Paul S.

Offline copusqueen

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26:47 AM »
Greetings - Nice to see all of you Krys-Tol fans and collectors.  I am the daughter of Jean Loomis and I particularly relished all the nice words you said about her book.  She was a passionate glass enthusiast all of her adult life (she passed away suddenly in December 2008).    As you may know, she donated some of her Krys-Tol to the museum in West Virginia.  Also, I still have copies of her book for sale if anyone is interested.  Thank you.

Wendy Loomis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand