No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fazzoletto or not?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Fazzoletto or not?
« on: June 29, 2010, 02:34:25 PM »
Around 4 inches high,rough pontil mark,very thin glass,sounds like tin when 'pinged',soda glass? any help gratefully received,
                                                                                                                                                 Keith.

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Fazzoletto or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
Hi Keith,

Your vase is very pretty.  I like the colors, but it is not an original Venini Fazzoletto.  The lattice work would be a lot tighter. 

My camera takes horrible pics but here is mine. 

http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=21&pictureid=1358

tam bam

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:39:36 PM »
Keith:

It is a fazzoletto, or at the very least, fazzoletto style, as all that does is describe a particular look. I'm pretty sure it's not a very good maker as the zanfirico is fairly loose and irregular, and the plain stripes are very simple. The pontil mark looks rough but they're rough on many of even a good makers like Salviati.

The id problem is that, although Venini is associated wit the style, which was actually an adaption of a design by somebody else, every glass maker under the sun seems to have made a version of it, from Italy to Britain, China, and to Canada, even.

David

PS I wrote this while Tambam was posting. I think we agree. The difference is that I think it's fair to call a piece a fazzoletto, if it looks like a Venini  fazzoletto. If Venini can adopt a look, then so can other firms. The difference is that the Venini pieces generally have better workmanship and usually have a certain gracefulness.
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 03:47:29 PM »
Fazzoletto just means handkerchief

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 05:14:22 PM »
Thanks,Tam bam,David,Christine,didn't think it was Venini as you said the quality is not there,by saying 'fazzoletto' I just wondered if it was a known Italian maker(knew it meant handkerchief 'cos I had to look it up to spell it :-[),is it soda glass or just very cheap?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand