No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large glass individual flowers - ID = probably Chinese  (Read 1696 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Large glass individual flowers - ID = probably Chinese
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:07:50 PM »
Does anyone have any idea when and where these glass flowers might have been made?  They are solid and pretty heavy.  I've put a pair of specs along with them to show size.
Nancy

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Large glass individual flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:44 AM »
Well i know Helen Millard makes wonderful glass flowers she will be exhibiting at the National at Birmingham next month , when you see her Cameo work you will be gobsmacked , as good as any that came out of Webb .
Just like the lady her flowers are exquisite . ;) ::)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »
I know nothing about cameo glass and won't have the opportunity to be gobsmacked in Birmingham!  However I had a wee peek at her website and her creations are stunningly beautiful.  No glass flowers unfortunately!  But thanks for the info JP.
Nancy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:52 AM »
Do you think they are anything like Sue's flowers which are Beranek?
link here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45707.msg257998.html#msg257998
I can't really tell from the pics as I don't have any but you may be able to better compare them.
m

Offline dculvyho

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 09:13:12 AM »
These type of flowers are available in the USA at large Craft supply stores.  I do not know if they are the same as yours or if they are reproductions now flooding the market.  The current ones are from China.  Here is a link to a wholesaler.  This web site has other examples of the flowers if you click on the word "flower" above the picture.

http://www.promotionalpromo.com/Custom-made/Glass-flower---------------/GWG20999.htm

Doug

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »
Well nancy i was standing talking to Helen at The Cambridge Glass fair and a couple came up to her and bought a few . JP

Offline dculvyho

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 09:20:01 AM »
One more link that is a bit more encouraging.

http://www.americanchateau.com/Murano-Glass-Flowers.html

Doug

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »
They look just like the Chinese ones. I'm not sure I would put much faith in an online retailer's use of the word Murano, especially as their other "Murano" glass looks keener on rice than pasta

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »
 :-\
I'm clueless! My flowers are Beranek "Tropical" ones, but Beranek did do another range of more realistic flowers, with shorter stems than the tropical ones. (I have a rosebud)

But all these looky-likies are complicating everything. Best find the site where they're all illustrated......
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 12:25:11 PM »
Thanks everyone for your interest.   :) With the info you've provided I'm thinking that, yes, these are Chinese.  There is a Calla Lily on the wholesaler website that has a kink near the top of the stem almost identical to mine, same yellow bit inside the petals and the height's right too.  So there I think we have it!  Thanks again.
Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand