No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID: antic scrambel: boston & sandwich oder silesia/bohemia or ????  (Read 1377 times)

Offline casalibre

• Members
any idea?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
The profile of the weight suggests Chinese, whereas the canes look a little too good. However, our Chinese friends did make some good canes from time to time. All I can say is I would not have paid more than a Chinese price!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Rocksmom

• Members
Are the colors in your photos accurate?  I mean, is the glass that yellow?  If so, it certainly different than any B&S scramble I've seen.  Between the dome shape & apparent glass color, and the strong yellow & red in the canes, I'd lean towards Chinese as well.  Pretty, though. 

Offline Leni

• Members
I have a rather similar scramble weight, which has equally well made canes and might well have confused the experts, if it were not for the give-away yellow and red flower - it's Chinese!  But IMHO a very good one. 

I reckon casalibre's is also a good Chinese weight.  I would be interested to hear if experts such as Alan can suggest a date when these were being made.  Are they 1930's ones do you think?   
Leni

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
Gosh, Leni, I think your Chinese scramble is a very nice example!  It seems to have pink hues in it.  I was waiting for an answer about the color of the glass (with perhaps some additional photos) on the weight that started this thread but now I feel comfortable with the Chinese attribution (c.1930's perhaps).

There is a scramble at a local antique store that has been there a long time as the asking price is close to $300.  I have come to believe it is a very nice example of a vintage Chinese scramble and unusual because of all the blue in it.

Lily :)

Leni, would you post a base photo of your weight, please.

Offline Leni

• Members
As you wish, Lily  :)

I too was waiting for a reply from casalibre on the colour of the glass.  I suspect it's looking more yellow than it really is as a result of the lighting.  I hope we will be told.

Anyway, here's the base of mine - actually a rather different construction from casalibre's, but personally I'm still thinking they're related.
Leni

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
I didn't expect the base view to be so pretty, Leni!  Thank you for posting it. :kissy:

Lily :D 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand