No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass inverted bubble vase - Polish maker? ID = Hortensja  (Read 6778 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hello...

I was wondering if anyone could help identify this pressed glass vase (maker/date)...

It is 18cm tall and heavy.  It has inverted bubbles to all 4 sides.  Though the vase is square in shape, the opening is circular (as seen in the last picture).  I suspect it's Polish...  any ideas?

Thank you  :)

Anik

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Pressed glass inverted bubble vase - Polish maker?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »
I've the same sort of vase in my collection. It was sold as being Czech, but I am a bit sceptical about that attribution. The quality is lower than the other pressed glass I have that is known to be Czech (meaning to me that the seams are all over the place, and the material doesn't look very clear and transparent). I meant to post it here to ask around, but didn't get round to it so far. I hadn't considered Polish so far, though I did consider German.

So, I'll add my voice to yours: who knows more about this one?

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 11:14:06 AM »
Thank you, Astrid...

I agree with you -- not a Czech vase.  I think Polish, maybe German...  but I'm still leaning more towards a Polish maker.

I hope someone will be able to help us.  :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:34:47 PM »
I found this today on Allegro:  http://www.allegro.pl/item1109238891_design_1970_polski_wazon_bable_powietrza.html

The same as our vases, and described as "Polish 1970s" -- no maker is identified, however.

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 07:58:47 PM »
I found the same vase here in Sweden but didn't buy it because it didn't "feel" Czech. I agree with the horrible finish!

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
I agree with the horrible finish!

Maybe 'horrible' is a little too strong of a word  :-\...  let's say the finish is just on the very far end of being perfect.

Now the vase has some dignity again.  ;D

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 09:05:34 PM »
I agree with the horrible finish!

Maybe 'horrible' is a little too strong of a word  :-\...  let's say the finish is just on the very far end of being perfect.

Now the vase has some dignity again.  ;D

Sometimes I simply pay to have the design. I like it, despite the lesser quality finish. I'm just imagining how it could have looked if it had been made as hand pressed good quality Czech crystal, the sort of quality my Vladislav Urban pieces have... Just wishful thinking, I know. I wonder if there are any examples of earlier designs that have been re-used for later production AND done in a better quality than the original one.

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 05:49:31 AM »
Just wanted to say this vase is Polish, produced by Hortensja.  It can be found in the 1970 catalogue, made available on pressglas-korrespondenz...  scroll down to the second-to-last page here.

Anik

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand