No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edwardian/Victorian Decanter Pitcher I.d Request  (Read 944 times)

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Edwardian/Victorian Decanter Pitcher I.d Request
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
This is not an item I would normally consider purchasing, but found it somewhat appealing.  All hand painted, a decanter which I believe to be either Edwardian or Victorian.   My initial investigations gave me reason to think it was Murano, possibly by Fratelli  Toso.   Tbh, I am not really sure. ::)  There are a lot of large air pockets within the bowl area of the decanter.  I think the decanter was meant to have 12 relatively flat sides around the neck line area, slightly angled and then would diminish between the bowl and foot area.  probably meant to define it's intended shape.  I'm only guessing, so hoping you maybe able to help in identification. Also there is the No. 45 inscribed just left of the pontil.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
Re: Edwardian/Victorian Decanter Pitcher I.d Request
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:09:12 PM »
Additional Pics.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »
Don't think this is that old,IMHO,the handle and the way it's applied says new to me but see what else is said, ;D

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 12:34:53 AM »
Hi, Keith,   I am very interested in your concerns and your possible reasons.   I have looked at the decanter again, baring in mind your concerns.   The scalloped rim and base area should have a gilt gold line around the top.  These are very worn  in places.  The base rim shows clear signs of ware in some areas.  The base area is not flat and sits very unevenly.   This may not be clearly visible on pictures taken.  The gilt pattern designs around the bowl of the decanter also show signs of ware or usage by handling.   Please note, this is not to attempt to deter you from your reasons, however, just to provide you with more information.

Whilst on the subject and still trying to find out more about this decanter, I came across this one.   I am not sure if the stopper is the right one for this though.  If it is the right stopper I'm assuming the price is right too?:

Ebay.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261073589981?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619#ht_6646wt_1170

Comparing it to the one on Ebay, there are slight similarities apart from the overall thickness, handle and base design.  The handle on mine looks like a fish or snake and on both sides lower down the handle there is, what appears to be prominent round eyes or could this be a mark of helping in identification? 

I have included a further picture with the inscribed numbers that was not clearly shown on my initial pictures.    I hope this will be of some help to you. :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
That particular seller is not too hot on his attributions and very optimistic with his prices. I would say yours was Bohemian late 19th C early 20th C but definitely not Murano. It's blown into a mould to give the ribbing. The number on the base will be the enameller's mark. They were paid by the piece so the mark is to identify who painted what so they could be paid.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:21:46 PM »
I'd go with Christine on this,early 20th I'd say,still not keen on that handle, ::) ;D ;D

Offline Otis Orlando

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:52:39 PM »
still not keen on that handle, ::) ;D ;D

Me too Keith,  The handle just looks to small and thin and surprised it still remains on the decanter considering the size and  the period Christine has mentioned.  So old it is and that I am most certainly pleased about.

Thank you all for your contribution to this post.   Very much appreciated.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand