No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 60s murano ice glass chandelier - JT Kalmar, or Mazzega?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline jonno21stc

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • glass chandeliers
    • uk
60s murano ice glass chandelier - JT Kalmar, or Mazzega?
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
Dear forum I have inherited a glass chandelier that I think is from the 60s and I have googled it and it looks like it could be JT Kalmar or Mazzega. Does anyone know a bit more about these companies, or is able to say whether they think that this is where the light comes from?

Thanking you in advance for reading my post!

Forum newbie
Jon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: 60s murano ice glass chandelier - JT Kalmar, or Mazzega?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »
Welcome to the GMB and what a great piece of glass to start with. 

I'd say you've narrowed it down to the two best choices. The chandelier looks very much like photos of Kalmar pieces I've seen. However, with that amber I wouldn't rule out Mazzega either.  On balance, Kalmar would be my first guess.

I'll be watching with interest.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonno21stc

• Members
    • glass chandeliers
    • uk
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
Hi Langhauth

Thanks for your interest. Can you point me in the direction of any information about Kalmar or Mazzega on the web, are are there any books about them? Having got this lamp I am very interested in the history behind how a lamp such as this would come to be made - who decided on the design, how is it made, how do they put the amber in etc.?

kind regards

Jon

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 10:04:06 PM »
Jon,

Hard to get much information on either company. What I know has been picked up in bits and pieces mainly on the Internet.  I know very little about Kalmar, just that I've run into a few pieces by the company on the Net and in antique stores. Mazzega is described very briefly in Carl I. Gable, "Murano Magic." The company, I.V.R. Mazzega, started operations in in 1950 as a result of the reorganization of Fratelli Mazzega. Its master glassblowers were Ermano Nason (1953-9) and Pino Signoretto (1959-73), both exceptional artists. The company also had some wonderful designers, particularly in the 1950's. For three years the company collaborated with Fucina degli Angeli, realizing designs by world famous artists.

The 50's were the highlight years and the company eventually closed its doors in 1983, by which time it was producing a fair amount of lighting.

Documentary sources on Murano are very hard to come by especially when it comes to lighting. Venini has some records, but even their lighting records are incomplete. I took a photograph of a chandelier I have around Venice and Murano. People were very helpful, but I was never able to pin down a maker, opinion being divided among Cenedese, Venini, and a couple of other makers. I've learned to love the chandelier whoever made it. 

There is still a Mazzega operating at the premises that IVR Mazzega occupied--I've been in the store--but I don't know the connection to the original Mazzega. The new company makes chandeliers , too, but mainly reproductions of older styles. I didn't find them helpful but they might be worth trying by sending them a photograph of your piece.

Good luck.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jonno21stc

• Members
    • glass chandeliers
    • uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
Hi David

Thank you so much for your reply. I find it fascinating that so little seems to have been written down about these two companies when what they have created is so rich and distinctive. To my eyes the lights are practically sculptures! Anyone else have any leads?

Jon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand