No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opal spaghetti bowl  (Read 6930 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Opal spaghetti bowl
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:11:48 AM »
I have never seen this technique before - but it is very striking so I have good hopes one of you will recognise it.

It is a bowl, diameter 5"= 12.5 cms  with an opalescent pattern which stands out from the clear glass both inside and out.  The rim is polished.

Let the guessing games begin. :X:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Opal spaghetti bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
Fascinating and beautiful beast - but I don't think it's use is for spaghetti.
It does however, look as if some sort of graal thing is going on in it perhaps?

I've seen one other thing (I think) which might have a similar sort of finish -  a very old uranium glass bowl, with a gently raised opaque fleur-de-lys pattern around it - I don't know if the raising of the pattern is inside and out or not, it's a stunning piece - I believe it belongs to Leni.

I think I've also seen a flat, fan-shaped, footed piece in uranuim and opaque with a similar pattern on it - it looked quite Powell-y but that's not my area, and it may well not have been. It was a beauty, damaged, and still a tad on the expensive side for me!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
Thanks Sue. I thought of Graal too - but it does not have a clear casing. I also know the Uranium opaque technique - several British companies used it, and I have a claret jug with a floral pattern. But that does not seem to be the same technique as used in this bowl. The old technique used striking zinc oxide as an opacifyer - the pattern was generated in a hot mould. This bowl apparently has threads of opal glass imposed on the body and rolled in. If you look at the place where the pattern meets the rim, the strand is opaque on the outside, and clear on the inside. I cannot seem to figure out how they did it. Or maybe it is the same technique after all?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:30:36 PM »

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
WoW!
Looks like it might be a Target Swirl thingy, Ivo - it just doesn't look as if it could possibly be that old - I'm not doubting the info, it just looks like far too modern a design. I'm impressed.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:03:40 PM »
WoW!
Fantastic information and not at all what I expected. Like Sue I would have placed it more recent in time - perhaps in Sweden or in Italy. I'm very surprised and most grateful for the link. Chapeau! :tof:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »
That is a great piece of glass....  I love opalescent glass, and the pattern in it is fabulous.  On one hand I am surprised that it has that kind of age to it, yet on the other hand one of the things that continues to draw me to older glass is how far ahead of their times many designers were.  That piece of glass would look at home with a collection of older glass, but would also be right at home in a modernist interior..... and one would never guess it had that kind of age to it....

Fabulous find!!

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »
Not at all Ivo - you are welcome.  I am pleased to be able to help in return for all the help I receive ;D 
Oh and of course, your bowl is absolutely gorgeous!  I love opalescent glass, but only in contemporary/plain shapes, no frills and like your bowls with the applied piece, that is just perfectly balanced. 
As Craig says, I constantly look at some of my glass and pottery and think about the people who conceived the idea so many years ago, so very ahead of their time.  I guess they were the ones always striving to do something different, push the boundaries - probably no different thought processes from outstanding designers and artists today iykwim.  But it's amazing that they produced such fabulous designs years ahead of their time and really stand out from the crowd.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 11:10:19 PM »
Ivo, on my searches for a my orange lidded box with the black decor, I'm pretty sure I came across something similar to this (can't find it at the mo) and it may not have been exactly the same.  But having read the link I gave again, it seems these are not definitely attributed in that article and I wondered whether your bowl could be Bohemian in origin.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 05:17:13 AM »
I have it down as ca. 1910 British/ Jefferson/ Northwood which is as vague as it gets - so I guess another open option won't hurt....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand