No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is This Glass Swan Murano ???  (Read 5917 times)

Offline artyroy

• Members
Is This Glass Swan Murano ???
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:09 PM »
 :kissy:
Hi
Could any of you kind and helpful people tell me if this Swan is a Murano figure , It stands 10" high it is of kingfisher blue in colour and encased in clear weighs 900grams and has some air bubbles trapped within , I look forward to any responses , Regards artyroy (Roy) :thup:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Is This Glass Swan Murano ???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:01:13 PM »
IMHO YES . JP

Offline artyroy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
 :hiclp:
Many thanks to John for his input with this question  :hiclp:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:14:49 PM »
Yes, it is Murano. Birds with this type 4-lobe vase have the red or green Genuine Venetian Glass label on bottom when they have a label at all. So they are considered generic Murano. I've always thought that they were well made.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »
I just realized how English-centric I am. The "Genuine Venetian Glass" labels are probably only used for pieces exported to English speaking countries. I've become aware lately that I have no idea what labels to other countries look like.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 02:42:54 AM »
Yes, it is Murano. Birds with this type 4-lobe vase have the red or green Genuine Venetian Glass label on bottom when they have a label at all. So they are considered generic Murano. I've always thought that they were well made.

Just wanted to add this, so it is Not confused -- That Lorraine Art Glass (from Canada) May also have 4-lobes on the bottom.  I just wanted to point this out, since some *newbies* (as I  ;D) might be thinking that only Murano has the 4-lobes on the base.

The Good news though, the Lorraine Glass from Canada was also made by Immigrants from Murano, but here in Canada.....just that it is not *technically* Murano glass.

See Link of a Art Glass Bird (Lorraine Glass) with 4-lobe base:  http://antiques2jewelry.com/glass_chalet_canada.htm

:spls: I just wanted to add this tidbit -- for newbies, and the 4-Lobe thing -- That is all.  

Easy to get confused by everything, and all the different makers, that is all..... :thud: and IF a Newbie..

Lovely Murano Bird  :thup:  and could we have a *base* picture too for this Post?  Thxs.

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline artyroy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:10:39 PM »
Hi Please a base photo as requested , hope this helps ...
Regards Roy

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »
It is the Murano type. This swan design is very common for Murano glass. The four lobes of the Canadian piece are more elongate, so noticeably different.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 02:59:47 AM »
It is the Murano type. This swan design is very common for Murano glass. The four lobes of the Canadian piece are more elongate, so noticeably different.

Hi TxSilver - I agree with you about the Canadian piece base being more elongate....but I just wanted to point that out still.  Cuz like me (still as a newbie) we sometimes think that every *bark* looking piece of glass is Whitefriars -- and we know it is not.

Us Newbies still learning glass, do not have as good as eye  -- but due to both of us pointing that out, and this board -- it is a learning process for any/all other Newbies.

I only hope that I can have as good of eye (someday) as TxSilver.....   :kissy: (with all these different types of glass.)  :spls:

Does anyone know who made these (almost exact) type of Swans but with a thick Swirled glass base?

Thxs
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 03:29:02 AM »
...I only hope that I can have as good of eye (someday) as TxSilver.....   :kissy: (with all these different types of glass.)...

:24: :wsh:
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand