No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What are these Molineaux Webb glass balls for?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
What are these Molineaux Webb glass balls for?
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:27:52 PM »
Hi folks,

The Manchester Art Gallery have put up a couple of fascinating images of Molineaux Webb glassware. Two glass balls, one of which has a company label on it. They date to 1888 but what are they?

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/the-collections/search-the-collection/display.php?EMUSESSID=2ee1bdcc630f453644cd314cff39d293&irn=65282

http://www.manchestergalleries.org/the-collections/search-the-collection/display.php?EMUSESSID=2ee1bdcc630f453644cd314cff39d293&irn=65281

They had a letter with them, not shown on the site, but it reads as follows:

The nominal size of the Ball in the paper is 2.5472 inches diameter. The difference between the largest and smallest diameter detected is 0.00187 inches

The only other clue is the name J Griffiths on the letter. I am wondering if this could be related to Birmingham lamp makers Eli Griffiths & Sons, but I don't know if they were active then.

Any idea what they are?

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: What are these Molineaux Webb glass balls for?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:48:05 PM »
Neil, I did wonder if they were sun globes but they seem smaller than those noted elsewhere (4" diameter")  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell-Stokes_recorder and they didn't have the glass block base... so another thought was some type of illuminator, like a pavement light with an extra globe to help disseminate the light below..? I wonder if Ian Macky may know... http://glassian.org/index.html  Failing that, possibly a small crystal ball for use by a fortune teller, or even a plain and simple paperweight perhaps...?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
Can't say for sure-- this doesn't look like anything related to my fields-- but here are a couple possibilities:

1. Wasn't Griffiths a lamp maker?  Molineaux Webb made lenses for lamps and such too, right?  Perhaps the spheres were part of a fancy lamp, and just meant to be illuminated and look nice?  A sphere is not a very useful lens, so seems doubtful it's part of anything truly optical.

2. In "On the Resistance of Glass Globes and Cylinders to Collapse from External Pressure; and on the Tensile and Compressive Strength of Various Kinds of Glass", by W. Fairbairn and Thomas Tate, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Vol. 149, (1859), pp. 213-247, it looks like the flint glass samples were provided by M. W. & Co.  Could it be one of these?

--ian

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »
There was another name on this letter, "McGregor".  I think this relates to Agnes McGregor, the wife of Thomas George Webb. Her father, Daniel McGregor, was an industrialist who made his fortune from cotton/calico. So I am wondering if the ball has some arcane use in the cotton industry and the base is simply to rest the ball on, when it is not doing... whatever it is doing...

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
other known producers of crystal balls around the same time are Val St.Lambert and Baccarat. No other use but fortune telling is known for these....

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 06:38:48 AM »
Can't see a cotton industry use for them. (I spent two years reading textile industry documents)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
Sun Sphere is the likeliest answer - see this 1944 advert by Chance Bros. The size is quoted at 4-in and I do have an article stored somewhere amongst the gigabytes of CB data where they are discussed. They was used to measure the strength of the sun at any given time, I think by recording a mark on special paper. The stronger the sun, the darker/larger the mark.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »
Neil's examples are only 2½" across though David.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:52:48 AM »
Size probably doesn't mater in this case.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 07:39:49 AM »
It certainly has to be an industrial or more likely scientific use as the letter with the balls mentions precision down to a tiny fraction of an inch. I like the sun sphere idea!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand