No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VENINI Bowl  (Read 3570 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
VENINI Bowl
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »
Hi. I recently found this Venini bowl and know little about it apart from its good! Its 22cm long and is acid etched in the pontil Venini Murano Made in Italy. Can any give me any info on when this was made and by who etc, i know you can sometimes tell by the style of the signature? also are there any decent publications about Venini, that are good and not hideous expensive? Thank you, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: VENINI Bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 04:18:56 AM »
Wolfie:

Leaf bowls by Venini go back to at least to 'pesanti corrosi" and Tyra Lundgren before WWII, and continued to be made for a long time.  I would guess--and it is only a guess--that this is a spinoff of the Tyra Lundgren design, elegant in its simplicity, and not having filigrana or modelled features incorporated, made in the 50's or early 60's.

The best source I know of for Venini marks is Marc Heiremanns, Themes and Variations. He says your stamp was used post war until 1966. Previously, the "MADE IN ITALY" was a separate stamp.

The two best books on Venini are expensive, but worth it if you don't mind waiting until you can pick them up cheaply. They are Anna Venini Diaz de Santillana, Venini: Catalogue Raisonne, 1921-1986, and the two volume Franco Deboni, Venini. The second one does occasionally appear for a very reasonable price.

Very nice find.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
Hi David, thank you very much for taking the time with your reply.
Does the 'Anna Venini Diaz de Santillana, Venini: Catalogue Raisonne, 1921-1986' book actually have catalogues in it? What im looking for, at this early stage, is plenty of pictures so I can fimiliarize myself with the styles and hopefully not miss anything on my regular hunts! I know Whitefriars like the back of my hand but I hadn't given this bowl a second glance until I spotted the signature through the base!! Lucky!!! cheers Wolfie

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »
Hi again David! The Franco Deboni books, can you give me the full titles or isbn numbers please as he seems to have several books involving Venini. I have purchased the Anna Venini for a very reasonable £28! cheers Wolfie

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 04:10:38 PM »
Wolfie:

Good price on the Venini book. The Catalague Raisonne reproduces the Catalogo blu, Catalogo rosso, and Catalogo verde, dealing with 1920's-30's the 1950's,and 1921-1969 respectively. Deboni contains the same three but in larger scale. Both have many excellent pictures, with quite a few pieces appearing in both books.

In terms of using the books to recognize pieces to pick up, I'm less sure. My sense of finding Venini is that you need two things, to be able to find the acid mark (not always easy), and lots of money. The books are as close as I'll get to most Venini pieces so that's why I have them.

The full title is Franco Deboni,Venini Glass. Volume 1 is subtitled, Its history, artists, and techniques, volume 2, Catalogue, 1921-2007, which, in fact, consists of photograps of the glass, not the catalgues,which are in the other volume. The book was published in 2007 by Alberto Allemandi. I can't find an ISBN number for it.

Good luck.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »
Hi David, thanks for that info. I have been having a look for Venini styles online and a lot of them (like my bowl) are very plain and could easily be missed at large antique fairs/carboots here in England unless you know what you are looking for. My mission for the next few months was going to be Czech glass but that can wait, Venini it is!!!!, Cheers Wolfie

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:27:22 PM »
Good luck. You'll need a deep wallet, a good book and a lot of patience.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:39:07 AM »
The drawings of Tyra Lundgren appear in the Designs for Venini on pages 68-71
Your form fits the drawing 2686.

In the book "Design of Form-Design of Color" of the Glasmuseum Hentrich, they present a photo of the form with purple stripes as 21Lu 1937/38

Bill Geary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand