No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ? Wedgwood glass bird. Help please in identifying.  (Read 7614 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
? Wedgwood glass bird. Help please in identifying.
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:05:16 AM »
Good morning all!  :sun:

I think this beautiful glass bird is a Wedgwood piece dating from the 70's, but any help in identifying it and possibly even the maker    Stennett Willson??  would be very much appreciated.  I have seen several in the past in browns, creams and beige, but never a pink one.....it is the same colours as the pink speckled Wedgwood hedgehog I have.
Over to you experts.....
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: ? Wedgwood glass bird. Help please in identifying.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »
Base picture?

Offline ladysmt

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 05:30:09 AM »
Your long-tailed bird is definitely from the Wedgwood Glass factory in King's Lynn. It is one of Ronald Stennett Willson's designs - RSW73. This design was made in sapphire blue, cream with brown speckles, white with brown speckles and yours, white with pink speckles. Depending on the finished quality it may not be etched. Seconds weren't but sometime in the past it had a sticker.

There is reference to the bird in the book, "Wedgwood Glass", but no photo. The book is available from enquire(AT)marg.co.uk (England) or whosaid99(AT)hotmail.com (in Australia). 

Mod: email addresses protected from spam harvesters. Change (AT) to @ to make them work.

Enjoy your bird. With the long slender tail it's lucky to have survived undamaged.  

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
And would you be the writer of the aforementioned book? If so welcome Susan.

Email addresses should be disguised by using "and" and "dot" to help foil the robot spammers

Offline ladysmt

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »
Yes, it is my book. I still have a few copies as does Margaret. I hope it's helped you're collecting and identifying Wedgwood glass pieces, with or without base etching.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:03:49 PM »
.....also welcome,would you be so kind as to cast your expert eye over this one please,
                                                                                                Keith.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:25:15 PM »
Huge thanks to everyone that has helped with this :fwr:.....I feel very pleased with myself that my 'hunch' was correct, but assurance from the experts is always gratifying, so thank you GMB once again, and particular thanks to ladysmt. :kissy:.

I think I will have to get the book.

Keith,  I think yours is the same, as it is that type (might even have been yours?) that I wrote to an eBayer about a little while ago....was that you??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline ladysmt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:42 PM »
Keith, yours is the cream with brown speckles. Now all we need are people with the sapphire blue and the white with brown speckles and we'll have the whole set! :hiclp:  (I hope the smiley works!)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 02:08:07 PM »
Many thanks, ;D
           Keith.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
just for the record and hopefully also for interest, these Stennett-Willson 'long tailed birds' are not too dissimilar from a design by Vicke Lindstrand, produced in the early '60's  -  and it may well have been that Stennett-Willson copied the earlier design.  The main difference in style being that the Lindstrand birds (from what I can see) have the head to one side, whereas the English ones appear to all have the head looking down.   There are other smaller differences, but this trade mark 'erect tail' is common to both, and at a quick glance by the less knowledgeable (like me) it may be possible to confuse one with the other.    There is a picture of an example from each designer on page 88 of Miller's 20th Century Glass.  Apparently, the commercial value is about the same for both designs, allegedly.   It is intriguing to wonder why, when virtually all of the animals that were produced are shown in the book, that an image of this iconic bird - probably worth more than most - is absent.  :huh:   I would also add my thanks to Susan Tobin for producing a very valuable addition to the glass collectors range of books (excluding the enigma of the missing long tailed whatsit) ;D  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand