No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sklo Union jardiniere, ovoid, horizontal ribbing  (Read 6762 times)

Offline px

• Members
Sklo Union jardiniere, ovoid, horizontal ribbing
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »
This has happened before: I find something and buy it because I know it is from Sklo Union at quite nice. And since I couldn't look very enthusiastic or excited in front of the seller anyway in order to keep the price down I feel quite neutral. ;D
Then I get home and wash the object and look at it closer and Wow it's beautiful!! And after I've searched and found  more information of it I am even more happy!  :hiclp:

This time I found this jardiniere (by the way I do not know what a "jardiniere" actually is or is it just meant for the beauty in itself? - it is not very handy for flower arrangements, nor for candy? -  and the word is one of the things I've learned from GMB  :) )

Mine is 11,5cm high.

In Marcus N. book on page 80, mentioned with height 15cm and "pattern number and factory unknown"
But it seems Jindrich has learned from his meetings from Mr. Vizner that it is his design from Libochovice 1963,
pattern 3244/125 mentioned on his picturealbum, so I think: How many sizes there may have been?

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Sklo Union jardiniere, ovoid, horizontal ribbing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »
That is lovely!   :mrgreen:  What a great find...  but I was wondering why the label would be stuck on the inside of the jardiniere?  (I know it's a small piece with ribbing to the front and back, but why wouldn't they stick the label on the side rather than place it on the inside?... just thinking out loud  :)) 

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:25 PM »
Not unusual, Anik. I´ve got three SU items with the label stuck to the inside...  :huh:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
Not unusual, Anik. I´ve got three SU items with the label stuck to the inside...  :huh:

REALLY?  So maybe it's not so unusual afterall, but it's still strange  ;D

P.S.  Talking about labels, remember the Laděna Víznerová vase I posted a few days ago (the one you, Dirk, have also got?)  Well, I just realized that when I bought the vase (after seeing it in a picture supplied by the seller) it had 3/4 of a label on it.  When I got the vase, the label had been removed!  Now why would he do that?  Half a label is better than no label  :spls:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
Because non-collectors don't realise collectors like labels (and need to see the bases of things without price labels). ::)

A jardinière is meant for pot plants, but I suspect it was used as a term for something that is neither bowl nor vase and needed describing.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:26:50 AM »
Well, we have made few steps forward in research of Czechoslovakian pressed glass in last two years thanks to first impuls given by Markus' Sklo Union (www.sklounion.com) book.

This piece is absolutely sure Vizner's 3244 - see the technical drawing from 14/07/1963
http://picasaweb.google.cz/Jindra8526/ViznerLibochovice3244?authkey=Gv1sRgCPKY3OKPs6bDNw#5492558978824926898

It has been produced in one size only, the correct dimensions you can see at drawing. This piece with complete all others including technical drawings designed by Frantisek Vizner you can find at my CD.

We (me and Max Velcovsky) interviewed the last still living designers Mr. Jan Schmid and Mr. Vladislav Urban, Max spoke also with Mr. Rudolf Jurnikl's widow few weeks ago, we have got plenty informations that should help us fill the gaps in attribution. But sorting of it will take some time so please be a bit patient.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskloslovenskesklo

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16:33 AM »
Anik, Christine: I do not _like_ labels !  >:(  Of course I know they are important for ID, especially of items old enough when nobody has done such tremendous job as some documenting information as long as it is possible.. ;)

Personally, for example with this piece, in my eyes the yellow glow of the label spoils the beautiful shine and glow through the ribbing. But I guess I'll have to let it be.   :huh:  I would rather have it in the base well.

Jindrich:  I would not find proper words to express the admiration, appreciation and gratitude I feel for you all (Marcus, you and Max as well as others) for the work you do even in my mother tongue, let alone in English.  And it is wonderful despite of all the lack of time you must be facing you still bother to spread the pieces of information here at GMB!

I was very happy to find my vase in Marcus' book. Then even happier to find out that you had solved where it is from.
And now I am extremely happy to see the original beautiful drawing! THANK You.  :rah:

Edit: P.S. added:  Oh, Christine, thanks for the "jardinière" description. I knew jardin is garden in French but still....  :usd:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »
I'm second to express my admiration, appreciation and gratitude to Jindrich -- especially for taking the time to answer our queries. (PX very nicely put!)

Anik

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
Now I've got one of these as well... a wonderful design!   ;D

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:37 PM »
Missing label - I bet that reappeared in another auction.

Label spoils the view - remove it and stick it somewhere else with latex glue (white creamy stuff such as Copydex) which wont rot the label. The labellers cared not where they popped labels, only for their wage packet.

Jardiniere - I dislike the term, it was probably taken from a Czech-English dictionary and stuck because a lot of the english glass merchants were pompous and liked the name. Wide vase is much more descriptive and accurate. Good for flower arrangement on small tables.

It is a great design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand